Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

cooling system issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Default cooling system issues

Hi. I just joined this forum and the first order of the day is to ask for assistance with troubleshooting a problem with my 2000 Boxster. Yesterday, out of nowhere, my water temperature gauge stopped indicating any reading. It's all the way to the left (0 degrees). When I pulled over...antifreeze came gushing out of the overflow tube. I let it cool down...drove a couple more miles home...same overflow when I got there. After cooling down, I added distilled water...took it for a short spin...same problems. No temp reading on gauge....antifreeze/water leaking out once car is stopped. Ok, now for the questions: if it were a bad thermostat or water pump, shouldn't the gauge show hot and go into the red zone? Is there a fuse or relay which controls the temperature gauge? How about the in-line sensor? Maybe that's gone bad. That may explain why the temp gauge has no reading, but why the overheating? Any advice on how to troubleshoot. Is replacing the thermostat and/or sensor a big deal? Any special tools required. I know where the fuses and relays are...if oneof those is bad...can anybody help me identify which one it is? HELP!!!!