Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Default New

Hell0. I live in the upstate NY area although I commute/work in the Carolinas a lot on a power plant project now. I have a 993 coupe, black on black, non-turbo, manual trans, 83,000 miles which I love to drive on backroads. Had a 72 911 years ago, too, but stupidly sold it when we first had kids.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New

Hello PR Man, welcome to the forum.

Had a 72 911 years ago, too, but stupidly sold it when we first had kids.
The things we do for our kids eh? I know it's in a different price range... but, I actually only bought my 944 S2 because I had a kid on the way! (The car that I had before only had two seats and a small boot (trunk)).

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 PM

Yeah, kids come and that really does change your life.

What I like about a lot of different Prosche models, 911s, 944s, and 928s (I think) is that they have that rudimentary back seat - too small for adults but at least room for kids. And yet they are still pure, fast sports cars, all of them.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Welcome to the forum, hope you find any answers you are looking for

Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 PM

Hey, PR Man, you say you live in NY but work in the Carolinas i. . . n power plants? Can it be this small of a world.

Could the PR stand for "pressurized reactor?"

Have we met at a . . well if we did you remember. I was driving a silver 996 as we went out the parking lot. You were drivng a Sebring (rental car?) but you were wearing a black PCA pol shirt and said something about Lake George or something and we were talking about James Dean and his 550 Spyder as we walked out to the parking lot, and then you said something about the license plate frame (custom:::"My other car has twice as much horsepower.") ?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Yeah, that's me. What a very small world this is. I hadn't noticed until I looked at your data you are in NC. I'm a Cornell BSME and 20 years as an itinerant engineering upfitting reacter feed pumps and SCRAM valves -- sort of gigantic turbo waste gates if you think about it that way. Thank god for the NRC's constant rule revisons -- job security forever. I've got your e-mail from the meeting and can send you details, we could meet next time I'm down in NC. Would like to see your cars.

I remember talking about James Dean, too, but not the details, something about his Porsche 550. I guess the reputation of Porsches for treacherous handling was kind of burned into the public awareness with his death, but of course that wreck actually had nothing to do with handling - I think it was a drunk that crossed the center line and killed him.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:01 AM

I'm curious. Did you find this forum because of our talking about PCA and on-line forums? I remember we talked about it.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I remember talking about James Dean, too, but not the details, something about his Porsche 550. I guess the reputation of Porsches for treacherous handling was kind of burned into the public awareness with his death, but of course that wreck actually had nothing to do with handling - I think it was a drunk that crossed the center line and killed him.
James Dean was not killed by a drunk who crossed the centre white line, he was killed in a accident between himself and Donald Turnupspeed (I'm not making his name up). Turnupspeed, failed to stop at a stop sign at the junction of Highway 41 and route 466 (now Route 46), his Ford Tudor coupe hit Dean's Spyder head on, Dean's passenger (Rolf Wuetherich) was thrown clear, but Dean was crushed in the car and died on the way to hospital. Turnupspeed had failed to see the silver 550 in the low evening light. He was never prosecuted as perhaps his subsequent infamy was deemed punishment enough?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I know, that's what we were talking about that night, and I think the name is spelled Turnipseed - I know a grandniece of his. Apparently he strayed across the line because he was confused by the size of the car coming his way.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: PR MAN

Yeah, I know, that's what we were talking about that night, and I think the name is spelled Turnipseed - I know a grandniece of his. Apparently he strayed across the line because he was confused by the size of the car coming his way.

I've looked up this accident in two books of mine and they both say his name was Turnupspeed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1465/E7BE3217CB45410496456FA6B7D05929.jpg[/IMG]