Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Default RE: New

Easy mistake to make, considering the October issue of Panorama, PCA Magazine, has an article on page 44 "Fifty Years later: A Look Back at the James Dean Crash: in which they spell it TURNIPSEED, with an I, and no P.

But it is NOT Turnupspeed. The "Turn Up Speed" name is a popular urban myth/joke whatever: I found references to the mispelling on several internet sites while looking up the spelling.

It is actually spelled Turnupseed -- "seed" not "speed." No P. You Turnupseed at literally dozens of hits on the internet, and its spelled that way in Warren Beath's book (The James Dean Story), and, . . .

Donald G. Turnupseed died in 1995, haunted his whole life by publicity from that crash, poor guy. You can check out is obitn from the Tulare Register, his home town paper, at

http://www.genforum.familytreemaker....sages/257.html

Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's time for me to eat humble pie? I didn't get my information from Panorama, but I think I will write to the publisher's of my information and point out that they have got it wrong!

You obviously know your onions, but, you can see how history can get twisted, can't you?

So.......sorry, I was wrong and you are right!
[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 PM

Look, with all the stuff loating around the internet it is a wonder anyone kows anything for usre. Greatest promotoer of Bs and urban
myths ever.