Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Newbie needing advice on what to get.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Default Newbie needing advice on what to get.....

Hello, everybody. I'm thinking of buying my first Porsche - I want to start out enrty-level so I'm considering either a 968 or a 944 S2 because I'm partial to the 3.0 4cyl and the handling of those platforms.

I basically would like to get some insight from owners about the ups and downs of the two cars. I will be doing my own work on the car - primarily due to cost and perfectionism. I'm familiar with the stock specs of the two cars, but I'm interested in problem areas, things to look for when buying, etc. I'm also interested in knowing what good mods are available. (Just can't leave it alone, ya know)

As you can see by my screen name, the car will be making it out to the track at least 4-5 times per year - I go to Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, and Sears Point (Infineon, I know - but I've always called it SP). My car will soon be out of warranty, and once that happens, it will cost just as much to maintain as a 968 or 944 anyway. I figure I can buy an older Porsche and a cheap used commuter for what it would cost to replace my SVT with an equivilent car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - if there is another forum that is better suited for this question, please let me know.

Thanks, and I hope to see you at the track! (Hopefully next time I'll be at the track with a shield on the hood of my car instead of a blue oval)

- Aaron