Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Future 996 Turbo Buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Default Future 996 Turbo Buyer.

Hey guys,

I want to continue my family's tradition of owning at least one Porsche, and the car that I thought was the best value in terms of performance, quality, reliability (hopefully!), looks, and price was the 2000-05 996 Turbo. My father currently owns a 1965 356 C Coupe which is a beautiful car in every regard, (except for comfort, if you know what I mean) and I love vintage cars, (my dream car is a Mercedes-Benz 600, Oh god, I'm getting off topic) but it's kind of a PITA to own, like when you park somewhere and some grubby kid puts his hands all over the car (there I go again!) Anyway, I want to know pretty much everything about the average 996 Turbo ownership experience (the highs and lows, reliability, maintenance, things like that.) I will say now that I do like working on my little collection of cars (2004 Land Rover Discovery, 1988 BMW M5, 1999 Bentley Turbo RT) and I know all about high maintenance, astronomical prices for parts and things of that nature (this next sentence I'll try to stay on topic, such a bad habit of mine. About my future 996 Turbo, It'll just be another weekend toy, and like my other cars, I'll take great care of it.

All replies (except crap replies) are appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM

You sure are a lucky fella to have such an impressive collection of cars. Congrats on the Porsche. One curiosity though, regarding your 1988 M5, if you ever thought of selling it, how much for the beast?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Gooseman, at the current moment, I have absolutely no intentions to sell any of my cars at any price, all though if you are considering getting into a E28 M5, most prices run around $12-25k for a clean one with around 120-200k miles, rarely will you find a example with less than 100k on it, I remember seeing one for sale earlier in the year that had only 12k on it, a true time capsule, and it sold for $46k. As far as mine goes, I paid 14k for mine back in 2000 and it had around 105k on it back then, it has 150k on it now. Now you've probably already read all about this, but the E28 is not for everyone, it has a rather small trunk, the seats aren't very comfortable, so you can say that pretty much everything about the car is raw and unrefined, an exception to that is of course, the engine. Because when you get on an open road and open her up, the beautiful straight-6 engine note makes all of the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, it's that good!
Of course, if things like trunk space and seat comfort are important to you but you still want the beautiful M88 straight-6, then you can look towards the much more modern E34 M5 (1991-93) but you have to keep in mind that the E28 and the E34 M5's aren't really cars for the drag strip, they're the type of cars where you can use around 50-80% of the available power, which is good if you like to carve up a canyon road, not something like the later M5's (E39, E60, F10) that have 400-600 hp, and crazy, spiky power everywhere, although if you like to drag race your car, the later M5's are as good as you're gonna get!

Wow, that is probably a lot to digest for someone who was just questioning the current value of a vehicle, but if you're interested in buying one, you've got a good owner's opinion above for reference.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad someone posted something on my thread after four months unanswered.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM

You sure got a nice deal on your M5. I was wondering because I found one in my country, with around 100k miles, for about 5000$. The problem is the interior, which is pretty much ruined, but that wouldn't be a problem. The main aspect is the registration tax, which for a car from 88, with a big engine, is a real pain in th a** in my country. I think I will reconsider my options )

Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 AM

It is a great thing for you and your family that you follows the trends and tradition and also Porsche is a great model of car.It is quite costly car so more money should have to be required.