Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

From Milwaukee to Tucson, by way of Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Default From Milwaukee to Tucson, by way of Porsche

After finally fixing my 1983 Porsche 944, I decided to move back to Tucson Az. And I drove my Porsche down to Tucson. My first stop was lacrosse, Wis. This is my birthplace and my ”hometown”, also where my kids and most of my family live. After a funeral on Monday, I left at 5 am on Tues. I headed to Albert Lea Mn. Where I started down on I-35 into the always boring state of Iowa, then it was on to Missouri (Kansas City) I liked KC seemed like a nice place. After arriving in Wichita I decided to head west on Hwy. 54 towards New Mexico (short-cut). I stopped in a little town called Kingman Kansas to get gas, after filling up I get in to start my car and…. nothing. At this point she had been running for close to 10 hrs. straight. I have read in previous forums that sometimes Porsches just wont start sometimes, and now it happened to me. Well I walk up the street to the “motel” and got a room for the night. Once morning came and I quit being VERY stressed, I walked back to the car where she fired right up and I continued on my way. Driving through the very little bit of Texas that I went through I noticed that the roads were in bad shape and it was also raining, which led my car to act weird on the road, didn’t feel like I had a good connection with the road. Then I finally made it to Albuquerque, where I thought it would be a good idea to give her another rest, so I spent some time with the fine folks at Motel 6,nice place. I wanted to leave at 6:30 am but true to form, she didn’t start, I went back out at 8 and she came through for me and started and I was onward to Tucson. This would be a good part of the story to mention that for some reason the heat in my car never shuts off from underneath the dash, so you can imagine the fun I had driving through the desert. The closer to Tucson I got the faster I seem to drive. The speed limit was 75, so I pushed her to 90 at times, usually though it was just around 80. I finally made it back to Tucson yesterday (thurs) and all in all it was a great trip.

My car has a little over 142,000 miles on her and she ran perfect the whole way here, well aside from the heat always being on.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: From Milwaukee to Tucson, by way of Porsche

Glad you made the trip in one piece! When you went through KC, you should have stopped by the shop and said hi We are right off 35 on the south side of the city.

Have you replaced the DME relay? That will cause a no start issue when it is hot typically. If that has been replaced, then we go back to the wiring harness issues.