Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

PorscheDoc - know anything about Ferraris?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Default PorscheDoc - know anything about Ferraris?

PorscheDoc (and anyone else who wants to add an opinion). I'm looking for advice, opinions, facts, etc. on Ferraris, both classic and recent, in particular anything you have experienced or heard about the various models' mechanical integrity.
I've in no hurry (the dream and the hunt is more than half the fun) but thinking of getting one sometime in the next 3 to 15 months. I'm undecided about old or new, but it will be front engined, red, and have the Scuderia Ferrari shield on the front fenders (for which, believe it or not, the factory charges $1800). It will be driven infrequently - maybe 500 miles per month average. I'm most interested in anything you have heard about maintenance and car of mid 60s to early 70s models and the recent (within 4 years old) models. Right now I am looking at:
1968 365 GTC 4.4 liter 3-carb, 5 speed - this is the only decent model I can afford from the mid 60s (I'd love a 275 GTB but do not have $1.5 million to speed) - it is less desireable -- certainly a bit less elegant --than a 330GTC, but at around $100 for a good example, less than a third the cost even though it has the 4.4 rather than 4 liter engine. I know very little about this car's durability and quirks but am assuming it is really just a slightly larger, longer 330 GTC.
575 Maranello - recent. I've found an early one with less than 5,000 miles for around $160K, which seems a bargain.
California (new). These aren't the prettiest car (no recent Ferrari's styling really turns me on, unlike the lines of my Aston), but the top does retract, it's much faster than I need, its front engined and comes in red, etc., and it would have a warranty. But it seems like a very complicated car to maintain, with all its electronic features.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

You know, i've heard a lot of talk about Ferrari's, but it usually only sticks for a few minutes as I have never really followed Ferrari much. Driven a few, and came to the conclusion that they are fun to say you've driven, but IMHO a pain in the butt to drive compared to a Porsche. Completely different experience. I've always wanted to own a mid 80's Testerossa to say i've owned a Ferrari (as it seems 25-30k will buy one all day long), but usually I wake up and come to my senses. I know that the 15k mile services are usually extremely expensive on the stuff 1980's and newer ($10-15k and up), so a lot of cars get sold when they are due for service. I wouldn't know much of anything about the older stuff. And that.....is about the extent of my Ferrari knowledge, lol.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks. I know the driving experinece is different than a Porsche but frankly (and no offense to anyone) I never really likely driving my Carrera that much -- Porsches are nice cars but to me just one of many nice cars. My Aston is just much a better car for me.
I mainly want a Ferrari out of sheer respect for the company. Unlike Jag, Aston, Porsche, Mercedes, etc., they don't come and go into racing. The factory teams have been into road racing since the beginning of the company -- they were at (and won) LeMAns in the first year it began again after WWII - 1949 - and won, and have been going back every year since, and they have been in F1 for years (and won more than any other company). You sort of have to respect the commitment to progress and the willingness to take on the whole world.
I was mainly thinking of systemic design flaws or quirks -- I know the 330 GTC was notorious for the cost of replacing the u joints in its drive shaft (it had 4 and just about had to be disassembled to replace them) and I think the Testa Rossa, now that you mention it, had cooling problems on parts of the heads on early models.
I know the 15K service costs about $9-$15k on a modern Ferrari V8 -- 355, 360, 430, and probably the California - its always mentioned in any ad if its been done, and the recent V8s are all that, but I think the bigger V12s right now are timing chains but then adjusting them probably costs that much.
I'm actually taken by the F430 - its not front engined but it is a pretty cool car and pretty good looking.
On the other hand, when I walked out to my Aston leaving work this afternoon, its lines just took my breath away, as they always do. A shame Ferrari makes nothing that striking to look at.