Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Where you are now?

Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Default Where you are now?

As a member of this forum for a few months now, I feel somewhat familiar with a lot of you guys. Now, most of us are members of this forum for one of two reasons, (if not both); either you're a porsche fan looking to interact with other such fans, or you are a porsche owner looking for technical advice/social interaction with other porsche owners.
So, this brings me to my question; I am currently a sophomore at the University of Maryland and am pursuing a double major in Econ and Business with intentions of attending a very prestigious graduate school for a masters and higher in one of those two aforementioned fields. In my young age I have acquired an expensive taste in cars... with preferences to BMWs, Porsches, and Ferraris. Since many of you are members because you are owners of Porsches, I am curious as to how many of you got to where you are.
What do you do, what made you decide to, do you enjoy it, where did you go to school, why porsche, etc...
I am still trying to figure out what I want to do, but I do know that I can't live without driving something nice... I loathe driving when I can't drive my 944... and 944's as we all know, aren't really that exceptional. So, I'm just trying to figure out how you all support your desires...

Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Where you are now?

Purchasing, maintaining and insuring high end automobiles takes considerable resources and I'd venture that most people in this forum are reasonably responsible and successful. It's not just about what you do for a livingthough, it's about what's important to you. Personally, I prioritize cars pretty high on my list of things that make me happy; I make a fair amount of money and I have a very cool g/f who totally supports my obsession, but I don't have kids, so it's easier for me todropnonsensical amounts ofcash on cars.So unless you're master-of-the-universe wealthy, it'sabout prioritizing your choices.

The 'why Porsche' part is easy for me and I think it speaks further to my point: when I was in high school I had a poster of a Turbo Carrera on my bedroom wall where it stayed until I moved out of my parents house. Twenty five years later I own one and it thrills me every time I drive it; there's a lot of good dialogueon this forumabout 'why a Porsche', but for me it's totally visceral.

And now,at the risk of being Captain Obvious, most college sophmores don't own a car, much less a 944; so what you're dealing with here is a really high quality problem . Just keep making smart choices.

-John

Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM

I got where I am by: 1) picking a career field I liked and felt I had an aptitude for (Engineering, even though the family preferred law), 2) actually analyzing what type of career would get me where I wanted to be, mapping out a plan, and following it -- surprising how few people do this, 3) working hard -- it does not happen without this, in my case study and work practice to become the best in my field, and working to make certain I was seen by the professional community I was in and the marketplace as the best. Finally, 4, at some point remember the old saw "No one ever got rich working for someone else"along withwhat they have or will teach you in econ and business classes, "Profit is a reward for risk." You have to take some risks andgo out on your own/form you own company, etc.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM

I am contemplating a career in finance related fields, most likely investment banking. Right now, I've decided to pursue two simultaneous degrees (a bachelors in Econ and one in Finance as well). It is typically a 5 year program (requiring 150+ credits and satisfaction of both major requirements as opposed to the typical 120) But I have planned it out so that I can achieve it in 3. I aim to maintain a 4.0 and head somewhere north for grad school... perhaps an Ivy....

Just curious as to how that sounds to you all

Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 AM

tarheel24, first of all, welcome on board.
I believe if you want something and you work toward you goal and dream, you will get what you want eventually.
I am not born rich, and I am still not rich at this point of my life. I came to the USA 20 years ago with no more than $2000. Twenty years later, my wife and I earn everything we own, a comfortable home, a retirement plan, get to travel all over the world every year and this year, I got my dream car. Even since I was young, I have been telling myself, one day, I will buy me a Porsche, sooner or later. I guess that explain why a Porsche for me. Everybody has something that they want in their life, a special something that mean a special meaning for them. I also look at this as a milestone of my life, another achievment. I still have a lot of milestone to hit, cause I am only in my mid forty. That is my story :-)

Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks for all the responses.... I really appreciate them, and they make for good reads as well