Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

09 911 Carerra S-questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Default 09 911 Carerra S-questions

Hi new to Porsche...sorry.

Coming from, dare I say, an 08 Z06 and a very quick Cadillac CTS V..yup all 556 hp/ Nurburgring sedan record there for a while too.

This is a Porsche Forum I understand...I digress.

I'm looking at a very sweet Certified guard red Carrera S w/6,500 miles from a well established Porsche dealership here in town. They're asking $70,350. I haven't driven the beast yet, doing that this weekend.

Ok, besides the blissful road feel of this machine that will envelop me making me want this more, what other things should I be looking for?

How about pricing on such beauty?

Thanks in adavnce for your positve input.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 PM

That's not a terribly bad price for what will be, soon, a two-year old model with so few miles. I would do nothing different than you would with any used vehcile you were payin g tha tmuch for: have it checked professionally, make sure you like it, and negotiate all current service and maintenance has been done, now and again (have them change the oil and filter for you, don't assume it is good even if they have records), and try to get whatever warranty you can.

The Porsche is better laid out and much better built than either your vette or your Caddy (I've owned versions of both, too). You will not have to manhandle it to make in quick in the twisties like you do the 'vette, but it doesn't have the low end torque.

And a suggestion that will get me flamed here, I know. For that price you can easily get a two or three year old or so Aston Martin Vantage with about 10,000 miles on it (In April I traded my'07 with 5K miles on my Ferrari and the dealer sold it the next day for $69K). Nothing depreciates as fast as a new Aston but you are using that in your favor buying one several years old. The Aston is not as fast as the S in a straight line but then I assume that is not critical to you since the S is not as fast as the ZO6 you had. But it is worth considering for the money: in my opinion they handle better (a surprise), they ride better, they are better built, just a wonderful driving experience - and NOTHING is as elegant orclassy. My wife suggested i keep ours when I got the Ferrari and I wish I had listened to her.
If you look at one make sure the engine seal problems common to all Vantages have been addressed - costs about $5K if not.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks Lee and good talking points.

Yes, "Certified" means all the bells and whistles of a new car warranty. I'm pretty good at asking for the moon too. It's good advise to ask good questions and check and re-check. They are the Porsche dealership that will take care of this ride and if they want my return business they better get it right.

Appreciate.