Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Need to know if this is an ok deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Default Need to know if this is an ok deal

Hey everyone,

I just read the "911 buyers guide" that Doc wrote (thanks for that info) and I have some questions about a particular car. I have always wanted a 996 ever since they came out, but just couldn't see spending that much $$$ on a toy. Well times have changed lol and I just sold my prize muscle car (1987 Buick Grand National show car) and I am going to buy a 996 cab c4 car. Here are my questions.

I have looked and narrowed it down to one particular car that I really like. It is a triple black 2000 C4 cab with 110K miles on it. It is at a small buy/here/pay/here kind of lot which really really bothers me. These types of lots are not known for being honest and forthright. Anyway, It has the xenon projection HID's which are a must for me and oem Porsche aftermarket rims that are supposedly 1800/pc. It also has some kind of special leather dash upgrade that was suppose to be 2K or so. It has both tops and looks like a 9.5/10 both inside and out. It ran great and drove the way I feel like it should. A couple of things bother me though:

First there is an idot light on that I believe says the top is not latched right or something. There is also another idot light that was on but later on the test drive went off, that is showing I think the rear deck lid is not shut right. I guess I feel like these are just sensors so no big deal but wanted to ask about them.

Second when we took the car out for a test drive the check engine light at one point started to flash. It was doing it for a while and I asked the guy about it and his response was b/c it sat for so long (I seriously doubt that, more the guy just doesn't know $hit about these cars and was making something up to make me feel better). The light did go off though and I didn't see it come back on. So I know there is a code in the computer just don't know what it is.

Third, I ran the vehicle's vin at my local porsche dealer, they said the last record they had on it was that they did the 60K mile service but that was it. The guy told me it was female owned and an independent shop has done all the latest service including the one for them. I am verifying that tomorrow as I have already called the shop to confirm the accuracy.

I do certainly plan on doing a pre-buy inspection on the car to try to find any hidden things that are big like is Doc's article.

I am in love with the vehicle, and I know you can go to KBB for values but in this economic uncertain market it means squat, really it does. I have seen guys asking 30K for cars with 130K miles and other guys asking 19500 for cars with 50K miles, it is just all over the place and I can get a pulse on it!! I checked ebay and NOTHING is selling, I mean nothing. In the completed listings only 2 cars sold, one for less then 15K and it was a nice car from the pics/descripiton and one for in the 18's and it was a cherry one owner car in FL. Most ask between 20-25K for cars with 50-120K miles, it is everywhere and I don't know what a good deal is on these things. On american muscle cars I know, but hell it is confused the crap out of me on these.

The dealer I am looking at was asking 19,999 for this one, I got him down to 18,500 out the door and I walked. I called him today and offered him 17K cash and he said we are very close, he would call me tomorrow to discuss at which time he will be giving me the previous owners name/number to call. Question is I have know idea what I'm doing, is this a good deal on a 2000 C4 Cab with both tops, extrememly nice condition (visually) with the upgrade options it has despite having 110K miles? 17K seems like a good deal to me that is why I offered that, and that is OTD with tax/title etc. This dealer is in a part of town where people do not drive these types of vehicles, I'm on the other side of town but found it somehow. He has been trying to sell it for months with no luck, I feel like I am the best thing he has to unload it if he wants but maybe he won't go that, he just said we were very very close today. I really anxiously await your advice, thanks so much in advance. BTW I have attached a picture of it below.

Attached Thumbnails Need to know if this is an ok deal-4.jpg  

Last edited by cfiiman1; 08-01-2010 at 01:42 PM.