Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

1968 911T Manual Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Default 1968 911T Manual Tranny

Hey everyone,
Skipping all the introductions I am just going to state my issue...
I have a 1968 911T Porsche and it has been runing fine for around 6 months of on and off driving and 4 days of daily driving. Unfortunatly last night I was taking it from second to third making a left turn when the rear differential completely locked and it came to a screeching halt. Then I got out and attempted to push the car (that is normally VERY VERY easy) after 3 feet of progress and a thrown out back I finally gave up. After another 20 minuets of debugging I started the car with the clutch depressed to see if it was stuck in gear and sure enough the car slowly rolled forward and then the engine died as if trying to start off from a dead stop in a high gear. If I rev the engine REALLLLY REALLLY high and slowly depress the clutch the car will move but very slowly. I used this to my advantage to roll the car into a nearby parking lot where she is sitting overnight.

In a nutshell the car is stuck in a undetermined gear and no matter what is done with the clutch, brake or shifter the car WILL NOT change gears.I am knowlegeable and able to work on cars, I spent most of my years working on cars but NEVER a manual so I am entering a new world of troubleshooting. Some of my own research on the issue pulled "...Transmission that is stuck in gear can be caused by a bent shift linkage, broken shift cable, a shift rail or interlock failure, or a broken gear inside the transmission". Any advise on repair would be very appreciated.