Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

1970 911T Targa German Domestic Model -Restore or Sell??

Old 02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Default 1970 911T Targa German Domestic Model -Restore or Sell??

In 1978my father purchased this 1970 911T Targa in California from his then boss who imported it directly from Germany.

Therefore my father is the second owner. We later moved from California to Washington State in 1982.

An rear seal was leaking and the car was parked in 1983.

It was started every other week, then every other month, etc.

Realistically it has been started since 1987ish.

When it was parked, aside from the oil leak it was fine mechanical condition. The only other mechanical problem I know about is the #2 synchro went bad as well.

Anyway, we are at a dilema. We want to restore it but, would it be worth the money and time or we we be better off selling it and buying a cleaner 1970's era car? It does have some family history and memories so personally I would like tokeep it and work on it. But I don't want a major money pit or headache.

I have some VW tech buddies that are anxious toresurect it with me, but is it worth the time, effort, and money?

The body is fairly straight, no accidents, just minor surface rust,requires alot of TLC and elbow grease and minor parts.

How muchshould we sell it for consideringthe current condition if we go that route?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1970 911T Targa German Domestic Model -Restore or Sell??

All depends on your wallet and your time. Just looking at the interior, I can tell you most of that will need removed and gone through. There is rust on the gauges which I have not seen in a car that looks as good on the outside, so I am guessing all the weather seals are shot and the moisture has gotten in.

A transaxle rebuild can run from 2k-3500 depending on what needs to be replaced. An engine rebuild 7-10k. I don't know what your skill set is, the engine will be the most in depth.

How are the belly pans? The body looks fairly clean for being a washington car, how was it stored? You will need to check the bottom out for rust issues before making any decisions.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for your info! Very informative...

I will have to get under the car to check for rust but it looks to be surface rust for the most part.

Does the fact that it is a GDM mean anything as far as the value?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Silver Reflexion

Thanks for your info! Very informative...

I will have to get under the car to check for rust but it looks to be surface rust for the most part.

Does the fact that it is a GDM mean anything as far as the value?
Typically they bring in a little less money to a true porsche enthusiast buyer, but it isn't that big of a deal. At this point, it isn't going to be an investment (not a good one anyway), but if you like to tinker with a project, and it has that much family history, the sentimental value has to be taken into consideration as well.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Silver Reflexion,

I'm a driver for Waste Management out in Issaquah. Your car looks very familliar, I would swear I've seen it in one of the alleys downtown Issaquah. Just curious, you live out there?