Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

993 after a Boxster S??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Default 993 after a Boxster S??

I have and love a 2000 Boxster S, it was my first Porsche. Now, I want to sell it and upgrade. I could get a later model Boxster, I could go back in years and get the 1997 993 ( I love the body style) Maybe, with a small loan after selling the Boxster, I could get a newer Carrera? Im just not sure. Im not a car fixer guy and dont want to to spend lots of money on repairs. What would a god next step be for a guy like me?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Default RE: 993 after a Boxster S??

Hi,

As part of your research you should read a few of the 911 magazies which have some interesting comparison articles between 986, 911s etc. I have a 996TT and recently was loaned a 2006 Boxster S whilst it was in for service. The Boxter was quite responsive and the induction sound was great along with handling, but the car is tight inside.

From what I have read the 993 is a great drive, but the later 996 models whilst a little heavier are a more refined ride. My 996TT is awsome only wish it had a better induction sound and sounded a little more like my M3 when driving it hard. Couldn't ask for more grip. acceleration is breath-taking.

I suggest you try and get into a slightly used 996 of some description, $$ allowing,

Scott

Old 04-21-2007, 03:18 AM

In your shoes Iwould go fora loaded987 Boxster S with the 280 hp engine (not the very latest 295 hp).

As a Boxster owner, you know how practical it is as a convertible (2 trunks), how well it drives (mid engined Porsche), and the 987 looks so much better outside (and even inside IMHO) than the 986. The 280 boxster engine is an upgrade in performance over the previous engine, it sounds fantastic and has enough power. The 295 hp engine is of course even faster, but the sound of the stock engine is too high-pitched for me.

As a 996tt owner, I would still recommend boxster if you can live with the interior room, depending on where you drive. I don't care what people say, the boxster s is more fun to drive on curvy roads than the 996tt.Boxster islighter, mid-engined,and feels more substantial and powerful than the japanese roadsters. 996tt (unmodded) is aGT car, which given its higher weight and power can reallyonly come into itsown onthe autobahn. It cancertainly keep up with the boxster sin the tight twisties, but unless you are an expert driver, there will be drama.Some people just want to be a member of the 911 "club", and the tt definitely turns heads,but i feel the 987 boxster s is the best choice, and what I would get if I were choosing over again, even without speedlimits in germany. On public roads, nobody needs to go faster than a987 s can go.

That said, in the USA, how much more expensive is a used 996tt to purchase than a used987s? $10-15k? Factor in cost of ownership (insurance, repairs, etc.) and the gap widens, but the 2000-2002 turbos are really a deal. Anybody looking to sell their porsche should consider selling it to Germany where used cars go for sometimes more than 2x what they fetch in the USA, esp. with the strength of the euro vs. thedollar.

The 993?Agreed that it looks great and should hold itsvalue well, maybe better than a used 987.It's just a matter of taste- the 987 (even the 996)are significantly more modern than the 993, sowhether you see this as a positive or negative is up to you. I defer to Doc to comment on the prospects of owning a 993 from a care and maintenance perspective!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 AM

I previously had a 2000 Boxster S and currently have a 996TT. I have to tell you that from a general "Fun" standpoint the Boxster is a great car. I really feel that with most of the everyday driving experiences we all deal with, the Boxster is plenty of car unless you're concerned with more interior room. I actually find myself more frustrated with the TT because there is just so much energy bottled up inside of it that I can rarely take advantage of. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider a newer Boxster S unless you prefer the looks and the "looks you get" driving a 996. I don't think however, that the 996 will offer you significantly greater driving pleasure. Just my $.02. Can't speak for the 993's.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny Carson

In your shoes Iwould go fora loaded987 Boxster S with the 280 hp engine (not the very latest 295 hp).

As a Boxster owner, you know how practical it is as a convertible (2 trunks), how well it drives (mid engined Porsche), and the 987 looks so much better outside (and even inside IMHO) than the 986. The 280 boxster engine is an upgrade in performance over the previous engine, it sounds fantastic and has enough power. The 295 hp engine is of course even faster, but the sound of the stock engine is too high-pitched for me.

As a 996tt owner, I would still recommend boxster if you can live with the interior room, depending on where you drive. I don't care what people say, the boxster s is more fun to drive on curvy roads than the 996tt.Boxster islighter, mid-engined,and feels more substantial and powerful than the japanese roadsters. 996tt (unmodded) is aGT car, which given its higher weight and power can reallyonly come into itsown onthe autobahn. It cancertainly keep up with the boxster sin the tight twisties, but unless you are an expert driver, there will be drama.Some people just want to be a member of the 911 "club", and the tt definitely turns heads,but i feel the 987 boxster s is the best choice, and what I would get if I were choosing over again, even without speedlimits in germany. On public roads, nobody needs to go faster than a987 s can go.

That said, in the USA, how much more expensive is a used 996tt to purchase than a used987s? $10-15k? Factor in cost of ownership (insurance, repairs, etc.) and the gap widens, but the 2000-2002 turbos are really a deal. Anybody looking to sell their porsche should consider selling it to Germany where used cars go for sometimes more than 2x what they fetch in the USA, esp. with the strength of the euro vs. thedollar.

The 993?Agreed that it looks great and should hold itsvalue well, maybe better than a used 987.It's just a matter of taste- the 987 (even the 996)are significantly more modern than the 993, sowhether you see this as a positive or negative is up to you. I defer to Doc to comment on the prospects of owning a 993 from a care and maintenance perspective!
Johnny wrote a well thought out post to your question. I have a freind who is Pres of the Porsche club for the North East.His business is selling Porsche parts and supplies. He is very knowlegable. He bought a 996 but traded the car in for a Boxter within a year. My freind says the Boxter is more fun to drive than the 911. The 911 is a serious car while the Boxter is just fun. He would agree with this gentlmans post.

I have a 1999 911 cab and I bought it new. I personally like the 911 better. I drove a new Boxter S last year and walked away unenthused. If you are looking for goodprice and perhaps some appreciation, I would recommend the 993 over the 996.The chasis on the 993 & 996 are close. The interior on the 996 is a little updated. Most Porsche people I know like the looks of the 993car designover my 996 "runny egg" front lights. You do not want to buy a car older than 1995 (993 are made between 1995-98). Their prices havegone up while my 996 have dropped. You will notice the new 997 911 looks alot like the older 993.

Good luck to you.

lee

Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 AM

Hi, Johnny (or whoever read this post), can you post a photo of the 966TT, I am not too familair with the numbers, so a photo will help me understand much better how 966TT looks like. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:08 AM

Here are links to the motorweek pieces on the 996 and 997 turbos

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resource...T-Motorweek.wmv

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resource...T-Motorweek.wmv

Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Interesting stuff. I'm new and a bit of a novice. I am seriously looking at a 993 at the moment. I believe its an S but is majorly kitted up to look like an RS. Am I right in thinking that these cars won't really lose money? That's very attractive I must say. Is this more of a weekend car or good for everyday use? All comments appreciated. Is it going to cost a fortune in maintenance etc? I'm told by some its the best Porsche pound for pound that there is? Now there's a conversation stater I bet!