Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

996 a Poor Man's Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: 996 a Poor Man's Porsche?

I've been through Kansas a few times. They have a nice speedway there near Kansas City.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM

What tracks do you run at? I am going to be running at an Audi eventwith several friends at Loudon in late May. Is that close to you? BTW what do you run and what mods do you have done to it? Have you run at any tracks further west, Mid-Ohio?

I have mine set up primarily for road courses. I'm running EvoSport long tube headers, 3" w/X pipe,cat delete, Kleeman resonators,EvoSort Pulley, Powerchip ECU re-program, EvoSport intake, steel brake lines, 19" x 11" Dymag Carbon Fiber Wheels, 305/30/19 DOT R Corsas, H&R springs w/ fully adjustable coil-overs, one-off carbon fiber front spliter and larger rear wing. roll cage and sparco harnesses. Makes over 500hp at the wheels on motor, no turbo orkompressor.

To the person with the comment about the Camaro, I'll run you, but if you are refering to the one in your sig you're nuts 9's!!!!! My car runs mid 11's on street tires, I'm having a set of 17" wheels made so I can run some drag slicks, should be good for a couple tenths.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM

I run all over the mid-west, Road America, Gingerman, Gratan, Mid-Ohio, AutoBahn Country Club andBlackhawk. I am an experienced racer, I raced superbikes for3 years ametuer and 2 years AMA Pro. I won the CCS national ametuer championship in 1997 as well as earned the most wins in a single season as an ameatur (the record still stands).So I am not your average driver/racer. I can turn 2:21's at Road America in my M3. Not had the benz out there yet. I can ride a bike better than I can drive a car, but I am no chump in a car either.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM

I'm running an 04 911 Turbo C4 with uprgraded fabspeed exhaust, performance chip, K&N intake kit. I'm only at about 460hp. Like I said, I've run against more powerful cars with less experienced driversand beat them. You have a nice car!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 PM

I ride bikes but don't race them. I run the tracks back east in CT and MA mostly. Have raced numerous amateur events and won several. I found my AWD is a great asset when pushing my Turbo hard through tight turns, that where I leave most behind, even the experienced drivers. Many of the pros at our track are even amazed when they see me run. The more you push in the turns, the tighter that damn thing grips. It's fricken amazing!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hot911TT

I've been through Kansas a few times. They have a nice speedway there near Kansas City.
Yea, the Kansas speedway is about 10 minutes from here, the only thing we do out there is the big brother big sister charity event. Our road course is Heartland Park Topeka which is 40 miles to the west, and is the closest road course. Hastings, Gateway, Mid America (MAM), and Hallet are all within a 4 hour drive. Road America is about 10, and Brainerd is about 8. Had a few guys run down to Texas a few weeks ago for Eagles Canyon and they approved, so looks like we will be heading down there as well...which is about 7 hours.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Doc--you're a busy man!!!!I've only played on the track a few times, but love watching some great races.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Heartland Park (Topeka, KS) was one of my favorite tracks to race on when I raced motorcycles. I loved tracks that were "loose" or slick and they don't come any looser than Heartland Park, there is so much crack sealer on that track it was like riding on ice. It really seperated the men from the boys when it was hot or wet...yes we raced in the rain. That track has it all, turn one is a very high speed yet technical turn and then the next several turs are a series of S's, if you get one of them wrong you just shot your entire lap. Really fun track. I would love to get my car out there, but that tunnel onto the front straight could cause some expensive damage.

Let me know if you ever make it up to any tracks in my neck of the woods. Isn't there a Porsche and Audi event coming up at Gateway in St. Louis (Madison, IL)pretty soon? I thought one of my buddies with an Audi mentioned that to me. How far are you from St. Louis? Only about 3.5 hours for me.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jrcart

Heartland Park (Topeka, KS) was one of my favorite tracks to race on when I raced motorcycles. I loved tracks that were "loose" or slick and they don't come any looser than Heartland Park, there is so much crack sealer on that track it was like riding on ice. It really seperated the men from the boys when it was hot or wet...yes we raced in the rain. That track has it all, turn one is a very high speed yet technical turn and then the next several turs are a series of S's, if you get one of them wrong you just shot your entire lap. Really fun track. I would love to get my car out there, but that tunnel onto the front straight could cause some expensive damage.

Let me know if you ever make it up to any tracks in my neck of the woods. Isn't there a Porsche and Audi event coming up at Gateway in St. Louis (Madison, IL)pretty soon? I thought one of my buddies with an Audi mentioned that to me. How far are you from St. Louis? Only about 3.5 hours for me.
They resurfaced the track last year, and it is smooth as butter now. Also late last year they took out the double 90 degree S (turns 1&2), and made it more of a 45/45, so it is much higher speed now after you come over alpha zero. Also 8 and 9 on the back side was straightened out slightly , so you can really hump it through there fast.

We are about about the same distance from gateway as you.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM

So I assume none of you are from the Chicago area? Kind of weird, Porsches are a dime a dozen around here. Just hard to find a GT2 or GT3 with an owner willing to track it.

BTW, I apologize for going off topic, I just did not want to start a thread asking if anyone wanted to race me, I thought that would have come off as cocky. As I mentioned, I'm not here to pick any fights or start any crap, just sincerely want to run a GT2 and GT3 to gauge where I am performance wise.

Quick Reply: 996 a Poor Man's Porsche?