Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Anyone have a value on a 1968 911L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Default Anyone have a value on a 1968 911L?

Hello, I am new to this board, and new to the porsche world. Here is the story on the car. My stepfather is the excutor on an estate for his step sister. While helping out at his step sister's house today I saw a couple of cars in the garage. One car being a 1968 Porsche 911L. I was intersted in it before the car cover even came off of it. That said when the cover came off I was even more impressed. For a 39 year old car it is in good condition, not great but good. The paint is shiny, however the paint on the front fenders has small cracks, and the drivers door is rough (collision respray) and there are a few dings. It appears that the car had a respray sometime ago, andmay have originally been a tan color. The car is now black. The interior is in great shape, it looks almost new. The stereo is a newer (1977 Model Sony) headunit and speakers. There are a few fluid leaks, but I can't really tell the severity or where they are coming from. The oil has recently been changed and the car appears to have been well kept. After jump starting the car I took it on a short drive to a gas station. The car drove great. All of the electrical items appear to be in working order. The car also has fuch's (SP?) wheels. From what I was told my step father's step sister was the original owner and the odometer shows 70000 miles. I think the car has a true 70000 miles, the car is in too good of shape to have 170000 or god forbid 270000 miles.

So here is the deal, I know from looking on the internet that approximatley 450 of the 911L's were made in 1968. I would like to by this car from my step dad as a driver. Should I consider this car as a driver or should this car be bought by a collector because it is rare. I am pretty sure I could swing a good deal and if I could I would be selling my 2003 Lancer Evolution. Does anyone have a ballpark value on this car? Apparently my step father's step sister was going to sell this car some time ago (may have been years ago) for $7000, based on a bill of sale that had been written out (obviousley the car was never sold at that time). I own other classic cars right now both domestic and Japanese so I have expierience wrenching on old cars. What are the pitfalls about classic porsches and how difficult are they to work on? Thanks inadvancefor all of the replys, I can probabley supply more information if it is needed.

By theway I don't knowabout any rust on theframe. I read that undercarriage rust is a problem with old 911's. The next timeI look at the car I will find out about the rust situation.

Please someone give me a value?
Ryan