Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

To buy or not to buy a 911 with history of rear accident??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Default To buy or not to buy a 911 with history of rear accident??

I found a 911 that matches exactly what I'm looking for, but one major thing is that it was involved in a rear collision back in May of 2005 and as everyone knows an accident to the rear of a 911 is the worst place possible. It was originally sold in Feb of 2005 so the accident took place just three months after the purchase. Carfax states that the accident was a minor or a moderate rear impact accident with no further details. Also, no otherproblems have been reported on Carfax since the accident. My main concerns are how much damage was done to the engine and structure of the car at the time of the accident and to make sure the color of the repainted areas match the rest of the car. The car is out of state so I can't just drive over there to look at it so I'm going to call the dealership on Monday totry to get some more information.

Would you even consider buying a 911 that had a rear impact collision?
Also, how much should I budget for shipping? I know it depends on the distance, but looking for min and max.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Default RE: To buy or not to buy a 911 with history of rear accident??

Although I am not the most experienced on this boatrd here are my thoughts:

1.If the car is being purchased from a Porsche dealer then I would insist on a 2+ year warranty to provide some protection against this issue.

2. I would also -- regardless of the dealer -- get an independent Porsche sertified mechanic to tell you what they think as they have no vested interest other than your inspection money which they will get in any event.

3. I would aslo insist on a good/great price otherwise I would walk...I looked at a 2005 that had not been properly repainted...could not get a straight story so I walked.

4. We would need to know a) where the car is and b) where you are located to provide estimates re: shipping charges.

HTH...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Default RE: To buy or not to buy a 911 with history of rear accident??

Thanks for your input.

1) Not a porsche dealership, but the car still has warranty until Feb of 2009.
2) Plan on getting an indendent pre-purchase inspection whenever I make the purchase
3) Will try to negoitate a good price.
4) Shipping from Chicago to Las Vegas

I've been contemplating about this and now I'm leaning against the purchase. I've talked to some people and they are telling me that it will be very, very difficult to sell the car later on even ifI keep the car forout 3 years.