Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

cayman or carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Default cayman or carrera

Hello my name is Nicolli and I would like your opinions on a little debacle I am experiencing. I currently have a 2007 mercedes e350 and I absolutely fell in love with porsche. The lease for my car ends in mid October and I really want a carrera but leasing a new one is too much I do not mi d leasing a used one except that I heard there is a new body coming out really soon. So now I am considering a cayman but I think that's a little more for the younger age group (not that I am very old) and a little too cheap plus I love the carrera. I'm looking to lease a new one for around 950-1000. Help me?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Default RE: cayman or carrera

The Cayman might be a bit on the small size on the inside, but the looks you will get are worth it!!! If you go 911, you will enjoy the status of the 911, but there are getting to be a bit common on the roads (here in Sunny Arizona). Just my two cents, but go for the Cayman and make people break their necks looking at it.

Brian Minson
Editor
9 - The Online Porsche Magazine
www.9magazine.com

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

I'd get the 911...a bit more expensive, but you'll love it.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM

I also would go with the Carrera... Not to look down on the Cayman, but there is a difference...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 PM

If you really want a 911, then I'd suggest getting one. Otherwise, when you get your Cayman, you'll be wishing you got a 911.
I don't think there is going to be a huge body change. They tend to do subtle things over the years and the cars evolve. Check the difference of the lights on the front from 2001 to 2005. Otherwise they're hard to tell apart to the untrained eye.
As for the big change, in 2005 they redid the interior. Much nicer and less sparse in m/o.
As for the $$, you can get a used one, say 2 yr. old with warranty (perhaps extended depending on the dealer), and save a ton of money since the car will have already depreciated a bunch.
I would opt for an '05 as the oldest. In fact, consider a cab. Now there's a difference from the Cayman.
In fact, since you're talking about this now, why not just do it and get out of your Oct. lease end early?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Dude--get what you can afford, but definitely a 911. I drive an 04 Turbo and wouldn't trade it for an 05. I personally like the 996 over the 997--personal choice. If you plan on testing the car's limits on the track go for a coupe vs a convertible.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM

ok well you see its not that the price is too much, and well you must know that here in beverly hills carreras, bentleys, turbos, ferraris are all common. I am 18 and i think i could wait unitl my lease to end to trade in my car, im just not sure that 1000 dollar lease is fair, and the pressure of having a really nice car here is very high. I really think i will be going for the carrera if the difference between the old one and the new one is not too great. anytihng else i should know? i saw a special eddition one with the body painted some type of orange and the side irrors painted black, sort of like in that fast and the furious 3 move.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM

If you live in beverly hills, you'll want to get the new BMW M3. BMW550sport said it's the hottest car out there and can smoke the Porsche GT3. Have you seen the pictures? It will turn heads!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 AM

There is nothing wrong with the Cayman, but go for the S with the 3.4l Engine.
Clearly as a single man the advantage of the Carrera's 2+2 configuration does not worry you at present. Some say that the Cayman handles better than the Carrera, but I have not the ***** to find out, so I'll leave that with those who have!
What ever you do do not buy a BMW!!!!!!!
If you can afford the Carrera then that is good too!
Either way you will have a great time, whether Cayman or Carrera, as long as you dont make the biggest mistake of your life and buy a BMW.
Best Regards Big Bob

Old 03-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Agree, DO NOT by a BMW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: cayman or carrera