Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

cayman or carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Default RE: cayman or carrera

Dudes, I wasn't serious. I'd never own a fricken bimmer are you kidding me.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 PM

i think im going to wait for my lease to end around october, and then either find a low mileage carrera only if the new body is not too different.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 PM

good call

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM

One thing I find interesting but am truly not being judgemental about is the "image" or social status factors associated with cars and how difficult it is to rid oneself of any taint of that in making a decision. I think all of us, including me, sometimes weigh somewhat the "what will people think of me?) factor. ((((I recently asked a co-worker, who is not very car-wise but was lusting after an M5 for all of its technical sophistication, he claimed: "If you could have an M5 for half the price, butfor that it wouldlook just like a Honda or Camry or whateverunder-$30,000 car you think is prettest, but still be just as fast, etc., would you take it?" Answer: No. Conclusion, half of the reason he wanted it was to impressive other people.

As to the original question that started this thread. For a moment, imagine that the Cayman and the Carrera cost exactly the same and that everyone (at least everyone who cared) knew that. Which would you want? Basically you trade a back seat/heated storage spacealong with a warm association to a 44-years long tradition of 911s, for improved handling and corneringand what most people think is greater beauty. The backseat is very useful: the 911 is really more of a GT, not a sports car, but the Caymen is sexier and faster.

Think aboutwhat you want inthat way, then buy that car you want most (even if its a BMW, or, for that matter, a Lincoln).

Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 AM

...wait a second... you're 18 and there's pressure of having a hot car????
dude, there's something missing here....

Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 AM

About the comment a few lines up that "996s have depreciated to Camry levels" or something. In a way this is true, older ones (but good condition) cost no more than a new Camry. It's a very good car (I bought mine -- the last new 996 my dealer sold-- after back to back drive with a new 997: I actually liked the 996 better, particularly given the discount I got on the older model -- but mostly it was the rear fenders (I don't like the bulge--I know, makes me in a minority) and the headlights (much better in my book) -- and it was a bit lighter driving for some reason.

Anyway, buying an older car saves you $$ but I still advise my long-standing rule (and the reason I don't ownthat '02 Bentley Continental GT I mentioned a month ago): never buy a car used that you could not afford new: sooner or later you will run out of luck and need an engine or trans rebuild (or both): make sure you could afford it, even if tight.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Check out the used car listings on the M3 and other BMW models. There are hundreds on the market and most have the same level of depreciation as the 996. You can pick up a used M3 for about $20K for about the price of a nicely equipped Ford Taures. It's all about supply and demand. If you want to compare the BMW to Porsche for maintenance problems, do the research. The Porsche has consistently been more reliable than the BMW. In fact, take a look at the reliability record of the 5, 6 and 7 series BMW's--horrible! On average the maintenance expenses exceed that of the Porsche.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Basically I agree about the BMWs although I am not going to get into an adolescent flaming match with those who disagree. BMW has built some world class engines (the 4-cylinder in the early/mid 70's 2002 and various TTii versions was a work of art), but in the last few years they have engineered a good deal of cost out of it: I have no problem with that type of engineering when it works, but BMW seems to have a had a lot of problems, such as the sheered water pump impellers on M3s of a few years ago (they went plastic) etc. On the other hand, several friends that had non-performance Bimmers have had good luck -- the problem inmy mind is that the cars are designed as family sedans (good ones, at that) but don't have the margins of a car like Porsche, designed only as a performance car.

Regardless, I personally am staying away from BMW for a while (don't like the styling either). I did look at both the 3 and the 5 but not the M models (I wanted to deal with the facts -- no way unless you test drive) before buying my Lincoln last weekend, but I didn't like what I saw or felt.

Someone that loves BMWs though: okay with me if they have a dozen.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 AM

Lee--good points, but why pay $70K for a family sedan when you can get a more reliable SUV (Toyota 4 runner) for half the price. BMW550sport is trying to get a family car combined with a sports car and he just can't get there. If you go on line, you'll see the same reliability issues with the non high performance bimmers. I'd never get one. Your new Licoln is more comfortable and much more reliable.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM

actually my father leased ( we only lease our cars because we like to replace them ever few years for a newer body/ model) a BMW M6 from when it initially came out, but now over the years, flat tire emergency light this, i drive problem that, the computer for the idrive has slowed down, however i must admit that it is a good drive. However after driving the carrera a few times I absolutely fell in love with it, i mean i love how small it is, how it looks, i love how the key is on the left side of the stearing wheel, or that the spoiler raises with the button, i especially love how because the car is so small and low to the ground, that you can really feel the road, unlike my merc e350, and the parking situations are awsome. i love this car and i plan to keep driving porsches.

Quick Reply: cayman or carrera