Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

CPO Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Default CPO Warranty Coverage

When I purchased my 2000 996 in 12/06 I purchased it CPO so that I would get the 2 year warranty. Had it in the shop yesterday as the passenger side door locking mechanism failed and the car would not lock. Based on the research I did it would look like this should have been covered under the CPO warranty but my service adviser said "I've looked in two places and that part is not covered". I argued with him a bit to no avail. Any suggestions on next steps to take? Its hard for me to swallow a $700 repair on something that to me appears to be covered by warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned...oved/warranty/

Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Default RE: CPO Warranty Coverage

I called Porsche Customer Commitment directly at Porsche NA. I asked her to verify that this was not covered under CPO and she could not "find" the part number so had to call the dealership and call me back. When she called me back she said she had verified that the part was not covered. I asked her who she verified it with, the dealership? She said the part number I gave her from my service order was not correct so she had to verify with so called dealership. I certainly now feel I am getting the supreme run around. If the part number on my service order was not correct then what the F did they look it up and verify by?

Dealer says go pound sand. Porsche NA says go pound sand. Now what. It makes absolutely no sense that this is not a covered part.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM

Reading the coverage, I agree with Porsche that it is not covered. They say the follow are covered:

"This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:[*]Engine[*]Fuel / Cooling system[*]Power train / transmission[*]Suspension / Steering[*]Brake system[*]Heating / Air conditioning[*]Electrical Systems[*]Body[*]Comfort Electronics
[ul][/ul]
The locks and similar things (ignition switch, turn signal and wiper controls, wiper motors, etc.0, really don't fall under any of these categories asI see it. "Body" would be closest, but I am fairly certain Porsche would argue that it covers the basic car body structure, not every thing bolted to it.

I doubt you will get satsifaction but you can continue to try.

I think you would do better to find a private garage with a good rep. $700 sounds a bit high.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM

But funny enough when my ignition switch went out about 6 months ago it was covered under warranty. I see the locks just like that switch.

$700 is certainly high. The part was only $200 and some. Most of the cost was labor to take the door apart and replace the lock. Certainly could have gotten cheaper labor rates at a local shop. My CPO warranty runs out at the end of the year so I will be using a local shop from now on.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 PM

You ought to be able to get it done for about $500: $200 in parts and five hours at 60$. That's not really bad. One has to expect this stuff when you have a car out of warranty.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM

I believe these kind of problems are only covered during the first year of warranty. Lee Willis's comments are correct.
Good luck.
B.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
bdd

I just picked up a CPO2002 996 TT a couple of weeks ago and was told that as of 1 Aug 2008 that the CPO warranty was exactly the same as the original factory warranty (i.e. bumper to bumper warranty). I don't know how much truth there was to that but I wouldn't expect them to lie to me about something like that.