Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Good deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Good deal ?

Hi folks,

Admittedly, I joined this forum hastily to elicit a few opinions/thoughts about a potential/pending purchase I may or may not follow through on in the next day or so. Hopefully, your feedback will aid me in making my final decision. If I do purchase I will most likely be posting here regularly, looking for guidance as ownership evolves--other than knowing I've always wanted one, I know very little about these cars (I'm a "gearhead" , have owned several sports and "muscle" cars but never a 911).

I have an opportinity to pick up a near pristine, 1 owner, garage kept 2003 996 TT AWD. It is bone stock, seal grey in color and has 4800 miles on the odo. It has the carbon fiber package but not the x-50 option (sadly). The only blemishes are: some underhood paint blisters on the passenger rear underhood area(about 6"x10" in size--the owner told me the battery "exploded" while it was being stored long-term on a charger) and a few small/minor paint chips here and there on the wheels (no curb rash). The car runs/drives as it should (I think, again, I've never owned one), no oil/fluid leaks or other issues I could identify with a brief inspection. I plan on having a local Porshe dealer go over it thoroughly before final purchase if I decide to go ahead with the deal.

The price is 52K. Is this fair/great/average/otherwise ?

Your opinions/thoughts/comments are very much appreciated and needed so, please, shoot away !

Thanks in advance,

D Bentley

Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Well, it might be an okay deal, but not great unless you verify the condition, etc. condition would worry me. It might be in really good shape, but get a professional inspection done. 4800 miles in seven years? The owner may have been tempted to not change the oil every year even if the miles are low -- moisture accumulates in the oil as a function fo time and if you don't run it a lot it is not heated and boiled off -- bottom line this can be worse than higher miles -- a bit of moisture in the oil in a 911 tends to do bad things to seals, bearings, etc., (they really seem to be more prone to this than most cars) so the engine might have the "wear" of an engine with many more miles. Don't trust anything but a professional inspection.

Also, realize that, even if you could get this car for, say, $50K, it still has the maintenance and service appetite of a $130+K car. It is low miles, but it is seven years old. it will require maintenance and service and it WILL be expensive: know what you are getting into.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks Lee,

I do plan on getting a full inspection completed at the local Porsche dealer prior to completing the deal. I think the $150.00 inspection fee is money well spent from a peace-of-mind standpoint.
And, yes I am aware of how expensive these cars can be to maintain/service properly after spending some time on the various forums and talking to several Porsche technicians.

Again,
thanks,

Dan