Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Hauling a bike or skis with a '04 C4 Cab..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Default Hauling a bike or skis with a '04 C4 Cab..

OK, I know this is going to come across as absolute blasphemy to some people, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

I've seen this really sweet 2004 C4 Cabriolet which I'm thinking of buying as my daily driver.

The big problem? It's absolutely necessary I be able to haul a road bike and/or a pair of skis everyonce in a while.. how the heck do you do that with the C4 Cab? I know the
coupe has an available roof rack.. but that obviously won't work on the cab.

Any C4 cab drivers out there that have come up with a solution?

Thanks,

- RA

Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: Hauling a bike or skis with a '04 C4 Cab..

Buy a hardtop for it and then get a roof rack.

ORIGINAL: rarctor

OK, I know this is going to come across as absolute blasphemy to some people, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

I've seen this really sweet 2004 C4 Cabriolet which I'm thinking of buying as my daily driver.

The big problem? It's absolutely necessary I be able to haul a road bike and/or a pair of skis everyonce in a while.. how the heck do you do that with the C4 Cab? I know the

Thanks,

- RA

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - I thought of that, and in fact the car I'm looking at buying comes with a hardtop. But there's a couple of things that make me hesitant to relie on that for bike transportation:

#1) I'm a bit concerned about adding any additional load to the attachment system for the hardtop - I don't
know if it was designed to take the drag of a bike and carrier over any significant length of time.

#2) The hardtop, while not difficult to remove, really takes 2 people to get it on/off without much of a hassle. (It
weighs about 75 lbs). That makes it problematic when it's a nice day in the summer, the wife's not home (which
is why you can't take her car to begin with), and you just want to throw your bike on the car for a quick trip
to your favorite trail(s).

Anyway, I think I've found a solution that might work better for me - see:

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/products.htm

Apparently designed for the Boxster, it's also compatible with the 996 Cab's as well. Quick load/unload,
allows you open close the roof even while carrying two bikes around, and doubles as an extra luggage rack
if you need it - perfect!

- RA

ORIGINAL: jjb996cab

Buy a hardtop for it and then get a roof rack.

ORIGINAL: rarctor

Thanks,

- RA

Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 PM

I understand you problem. I had a devil of a time finding a trailer hitch for my Ferrari. Hows a guy going to get his waveriders to the beach!

I have seen 911's with bike racks in Germany so I am sure they make them.

Lee

Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Hi, there's another engineer providing the same function with a different design. www.BirdAutomotive.com

Anyone with experience with Willwood or Bird?

Michael

Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm trying to haul more Puzzy, anyone have any ideas?