Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

How do other Porsche owners greet you on the road??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Default How do other Porsche owners greet you on the road??

While I'm new to the world of owning a Porsche, I have owned many sports car's over the past 40 years and always enjoyed greeting other owners of the same car on the road.. Now.. How do other Porsche owners greet you?? I tried flashing my lights and waving to a Boxter owner and all he did was make a face.. I did have another 911 owner wave at me and I returned the wave.. What are your experiences?? I had a jerk in a new Turbo just about run me off the road while I was crusing at 75.. He was all over the road and I wouldn't be surprised if he's killed himself by now..

Thanks in advance..

Steve (k2we) in Cold, Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 01-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Default RE: How do other Porsche owners greet you on the road??

If I see another Porsche on the road, I always want to get close to it and check it out, look at it, Porsches are all nice looking car. If they make eye contact, I will greet them with a smile. Personally, I will not flash my light, they may get a wrong idea thinking that I want to pass them or pick a race.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Most of the time, the driver's of older Porsches will flash their headlights or wave... I have noticed that the driver's of newer Porsches, especially Boxsterswon't. Don't know why,I remember an article some time ago, titled " Save The Wave", not abad idea.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 AM

I agree with Bob, it's usually the driver's of older Porsches that will nod or flash their lights, even have quick chats while waiting at the light if we're side by side.I don't seem to get the same reaction with newer Porsche cars tho.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Athumbs up seems to be the greeting of choice in my neck of the woods. And I like to chat with others at traffic lights about their P-cars (or whatever their performance car happens to be).

For fame, though, the 996 takes a back seat in my house;it's not unusual for my vintage truckto fetch unsolicited purchase offers when I drive it. People have even followed me home to ask questions about it. In my will, my daughter gets the 1936 Steinway grand, and my son gets the truck!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM

I get lights flashed at me from other Speed Yellow Porsche but not much else. Now my Smart Roadster Coupe that gets flashes and waves, but thats a small park of cars.
I think you tend to get more recognition on older models of"interesting cars",than the current models.
I do not mind what the gesture is as long as for the US Members itsnot "the finger", or in the UK the "two fingers". I do find the "oscillated fist" the most unlikely to encourage me to provide a good natured response!
Regards Big Bob

Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM

The Wave:

I used to ride a Harley and of course all the HD riders like to give "the wave". Perhaps their justhappier people! LOL!

I experience the same thing around here and perhaps thisPorsche group is just snooder than the rest of the world. Or perhaps they are still experiencing their "Buyers Remorse".

Anyway, if I see any of you on the road I'll promise to wave.

99C2

Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 PM

i flash my lights at every porsche i see, i dont ever expect boxsters or 996's to flash back however.. always a 993 or older will flash back at me.. typically i might get a wave from the newer porsches.... however i'm trying to convert every1 who drivers one in my area to flash me back, i mean if i flash them enough times they are bound to give in and flash back right? lol