Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

I got screwed up by a dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Default I got screwed up by a dealer!

Let me tell you about my 911 story I just bought couple mos ago in Vegas.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Default RE: I got screwed up by a dealer! Freeman Motors

So let me get this straight. you negotiated for months, inspected the car yourself, paid 10k below book, bought the car as-is, and you still expect the dealer to spend money on the car?

Sure glad I'm not a car dealer.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM

well,

Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

If the evap system was modified in any way, your porsche shop could have read the pending codes with a PIWIS or PST2. These will show up long before any check engine light will come on. Sounds like the shop that did your inspection did not thoroughly check out the codes in the computer, as most independant shops don't have a PIWIS or PST2. My PIWIS was $18k and my PST2 was $5k, which most little shops can not afford to buy for diagnostic equipment.

You still got the car for $10k under book, so you dump in $2500, and you are still way ahead.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM

sure..I am still safe in terms of dollars! I am posting here for other so that they dont fall into scams like this! Yes I predicted something could be wrong with the car for sure, so good to be true for a cheaper car:-) hence, I bought an extended warranty just in case to cover my major problem except emission...

yes, the shop I took was not a Porsche dealer for sure but they are a pretty famous Porsche shop...you must be right about the equipments...

Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM

I don't have a lot of sympathy, because my experience is to expect problems like this on any car you find below market value. The dealer may be exaggerating the issue, the "modifications" might have been non-factory authorized parts that did fit and did work (for a while, etc.), or it really just could be a bunch of little issues that went wrong. Porsche Doc has a point: it is so easy and cheap to check the codes (and only an idiot doesn't) that either you really did take the car to a very poor mechanic, or there was no problem with the car when they checked. I doubt you will ever know. Any time a seller tells you the sale is "as is" it is a red flag that something really is likely to be/go wrong.

Frankly, if you get out of this for $2500, you are lucky (and still ahead). I would not be surprised if you don't uncover a few other probems soon.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Well, you guys may be rightor wrong, but the Porsche dealer told me that this is the failure of other dealer.

Also, the Porsche dealer is saying thatthey have to change the one of the EVAP LINE connects to GAS TANK and CANNISTER all together...In order to that, they have to take out the GAS TANK and SUSPENSIONs. well that's about 15 hrs work they said..Also, they have to do an front alignment b/c of pulling out suspensions.

Do you guys agree with the assessment?

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Uh, all the evap equipment is underneath the passenger side front fender well. Pull the tire, take off about 4 10mm nuts, and about 4-5 screws, remove the plastic fender well, and it is all right there. The canister, lines, and both valves. No need to be removing gas tanks or suspensions.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM

I think the Porsche dealer is giving you some holier than them sh*t and playing you just a bit, maybe they are miffed you bought from someone else. Regardless, I suggest that you buy a repair manual and read it, and cruise this and other forums to learn a bit about the car, not so you can necessarily do repairs yourself, but you really have no one else you are going to be able to rely on for sound, objective info, so learn about the car.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Well,

Quick Reply: I got screwed up by a dealer!