Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Default Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib"

I went to the Porsche dealership in Fremont, Ca for an oil change and they said I also needed 4 new tires[X(]I asked theservice advisor what tires he recommended and he said the Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib"are superior to most other tires. I went to the Tiretrac website and they said these tires were made specifically for the 911 Carrera. Does anyone have experience with these tires or can someone recommend a good performance tire. I don't race my car. I drive it casually on the sunny weekends.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Default RE: Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib"

Well, yes, a bit. Had a set. They didn't seem anything special. They wear pretty fast (about 20k miles). Very good dry summer traction but not exceptional. Pretty good on noise, though. But not good in rain or, when it's cold (just cold dry air is enough to really cut down ontheir traction noticeably), and of course, snow is impossible. In fairness, all of these qualities are what you expect in any extreme performance summer" tire and no different than, say, BFG G-Force, or the extreme performance Goodyears, etc., But they never struck me as exceptionally better than those tires in any way except price -- they were expensive.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Michelin Pilot Sport "Rib"

With that said, what tires would you recommend? The Service Consultant gave me a Porsche brochure withMichelins, Continental, Pirelli, and Bridgestone. You are right about a few things, one being their price. The dealership is offering a 15% discount for a set of 4 and I have priced them at a few places. Believe it or not, the dealership had the best price