Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New to forum - Carrera question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Default RE: New to forum - Carrera question

Yeah, what he said!! Once you have a taste of the horsepower, it doesn't go away. And, just like anything else that is habit forming, like cocaine and heroin, after a while, the status quo isn't enough. You will need more as your body gets used to the current dosage!

Thanks again for all the info Doc. I spoke with a friend of mine last night and he was telling me about some issues with the liquid cooled engines in the boxters. Apparently the water jackets are corroding through? he said also that the 996 engines are a similar configuration and it could become a problem with them as well. He has a 95 air cooled and said that if I was to get an air cooled that the 95 was the way to go. I guess the ODBII computer didn't work well with the air cooled cars? We may look at some 95 cars. Are there kits for these as well?

Let me know if I'm bothering you too much!

Thanks,

Randy

Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

ORIGINAL: CTiggerPigglet

Tigger, c'mon now. I have ridden on one of your "Roman Roads" in a friend's AC Cobra replica at over 140mph. You guys do it just as bad as we do. You just want us to think you're too "refined" to do such things! And, yes, all Americans are crazy!
Hey, I ain't saying that us Brits don't speed (The fastest I've been is 160mph) or modify cars to go faster, I'm just saying, Isn't a 174mph, 5.2 to 60mph, 300bhp 996 Carrera fast enough for ya that you have to make it go even faster?

My 149mph, 6.9 to 60mph, 211bhp 944 S2 is plenty fast enough for me. (I even scare myself sometimes!) [&:]
Lol, the answer is no. Once you start to feel a little more power, you want more, period. Everytime I install a stage 4 kit on a TT (605hp), it feels fast for about 2 days (because you know there is still a lot of hp to get out there), then you want more. Around 800hp it starts to get a little scary, but still very controllabe. I guess I should say that after driving 800hp twins, 605 feels slow to me. For most customers, I tell them they will look for more after driving the car for about a year.
Hey Doc: What's a stage 4 kit? I know I'll feel the need for speed after I get my TT.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: billythekid
Hey Doc: What's a stage 4 kit? I know I'll feel the need for speed after I get my TT.
Stage 4 consists of ECU flash, K24 turbos, headers, fabspeed muffler, billet diverter valves, and intake.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, what he said!! Once you have a taste of the horsepower, it doesn't go away. And, just like anything else that is habit forming, like cocaine and heroin, after a while, the status quo isn't enough. You will need more as your body gets used to the current dosage!
Yeah lads, I understand where you are coming from. My S2 felt a lot faster when I first owned it, than it does now. But Jayhawk261 hasn't even brought his Carrera and he already wants it faster! So you can't tell me you are used to the current dosage already!

[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 PM

Well, it is true no Carrera yet, but I currently have a Mustang that has 255 hp at the wheels, which is roughly 305 at the crankshaft. I know it is comparing apples to oranges, or maybe even broccoli, but I am always looking for the extra power. The Mustang has 305 lb-ft of torque at the wheels as well which makes it really pull in the low end. The torque numbers on the Carreras are down a bit from that, but being that the car is significanltly less in weight, it may be a similar "seat of the pants" feel.

Besides, I can't help it. Power is really cool!

When I buy the Carrera, will there be a need for the supercharger? No, but it sure sounds like the thing to do!

I do have much to learn about the Porsche, especially being someone who has owned only muscle cars for toys. I guess maybe it's time I go for that more "grown up" look huh?

Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

I do have much to learn about the Porsche, especially being someone who has owned only muscle cars for toys. I guess maybe it's time I go for that more "grown up" look huh?
Yeah, or buy a superbike/dragster/jet plane!!!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:00 AM

A stock 996 will be quite a bit faster than your Mustang. First, it will have more power: I dynoed mine, and it put down 265 at the rear wheels: this is about the least powerful 996 there is, with the automatic. The 996 doesn't have the torque of a big displacement V8, but then it also does not have an overdrive transmission/axle ratio: the 6 speed winds out in 6th at top speed, giving you 6 gears that you can work::the 5-speed automatic tops out at the rev limit in 5th - its an auto with 5 gears to cover the car's speed range. By contrast in Mustangs you really have only 4 gears in the manual or 4 in the new 5-speed auto. So in these cars you let the gearbox do the work, ultimately you get more HP to the ground despite a lack of torque, and with the lower weight, it isn't that closea contest.

I would recommend that you do best to buy a good 996 and keep it stock for a while. Get to know it and know what you want. think aobut the mods and then move slowly. Realize mods to a Porsche cost a lot more than on Mustangs and etc. The SC kit for 996 costs about twice what fully installed kits for the Mustang or Camaro cost (and adds about the same margin over stock). Get to know the car and what you like (also learn to drive and use the stock capability first. ).

But if you are put off by the potential depreciation of the new Ford Shelby Cobra 500, you might consider this: you never get your money back spent for mods. My vette is a representative example: it was a $52,000 car new in '02, with a market value, if it was stock, today, or right around $30-$35K. I've put something close to $50,000 into the mods, doing everything "right" with the best parts, a famous engine builder, a pro shop, etc., all toward basically doubling the HP from stock, and adding all the stuff needed for it to be able to put that power on the ground and do so reliably and safely. So I have a $100,000 car that does the 1/4 in 10 seconds flat and is still streetable. What is is worth, if I wanted to sell it? MAYBE I could get $55,000 for it. Maybe. That is terrible depreciation. People don't buy used, heavily modified cars: one they don't trust that they are in good shape, and two, if they are into mods they want to have the fun of picking the mods and doing them - customizing the car to them, not buying someone else's dream, so to speak. So you won't get your money back.