Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

New guy saying hello, and a few question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:05 AM
Default New guy saying hello, and a few question

Hey everyone, my name is David. I browsed this forum for a few hours, to find answers to questions I had. I found some usefull info, but I want to pinpoint everything and get precise answers. And this is the first time I am considering a Porsche, but I have other sports cars (3000gt, rx-8, 350z)

Here is the situation:
My boss is leaving the country for a month, so he wants to sell his 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera (6 speed). It is red with black leather interior and stock rims. The car has 65k miles on it. He says he is the 2nd owner. He purchased the car from an auction, so he was told he was the 2nd owner.

I have read about some problems with the car, and I think it would be wise to get an extended warranty, if applicable. Can I get an extended warranty on this year/mileage Porsche? If so, how much will it cost me and how long will it last for.

So here is the deal. He has a month to sell it. He is offering it to me for $26,500 + tax, license, registration. Now, from what I saw on kbb.com, it runs for over $31,000 for "good", even though the car is flawless. He believes that the front bumper has been repainted, but isn't 100% sure (and running a carfax would be pointless these days). I can get it checked out by a professional body shop though.

He is offering the car to me for $26.5k, but he can easily put it on his lot for about $34k he says.

So my plan is: buy the car for $26.5 + all the fees... drive it for a year.. put maybe 12 - 15k miles on it.. then sell it for the same price (or near the same price) that I bought it for. I'm assuming that would work since I am getting such a good deal on the car.

So is the car worth $26.5k, or can i get a better deal on a '99 with fewer miles?
What do you have to say about the extended warranty?
Do you think the buy, drive, and resell plan will work?
How likely am I to run into problems in the 1 year/15k miles of my ownership? Regular oil changes and keeping an eye on all liquids with no harsh driving would do the job, right?

All input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-David

Old 07-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Default RE: New guy saying hello, and a few question

By the way, the clutch sounds squeeky when pressing it in and letting go of it. Problem? or basic lubrication needed?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

26.5 is a good price, but I would get it to a shop that knows the cars, and pay a few hundred bucks and have a pre purchase inspection done. Best money you can spend.

The squeeking clutch is pretty common, there are a few points on the pedal assembly that you can try lubricating.

As far as an aftermarket warranty goes, there are a lot out there, each one is a little different, so you will have to do some research there.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

26.5 is a good price, but I would get it to a shop that knows the cars, and pay a few hundred bucks and have a pre purchase inspection done. Best money you can spend.

The squeeking clutch is pretty common, there are a few points on the pedal assembly that you can try lubricating.

As far as an aftermarket warranty goes, there are a lot out there, each one is a little different, so you will have to do some research there.
Thanks for the response. I was wondering if i can still get warranty from Porsche. I heard aftermarket warranties half *** you sometimes and dont take care of everything.

Do you think I can put 12k miles on it and 1 year, and re sell it for close to 26k?

-David

Old 07-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Probably, they can only depreciate so far so fast. I don't think you will be able to get a porsche warranty for it, but that is a guess.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

Probably, they can only depreciate so far so fast. I don't think you will be able to get a porsche warranty for it, but that is a guess.

can anyone confirm about the warranty?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 AM

doctor it seems that you are very informed on these cars and i have been wanting one forever. the time has come and i have an offer for a 1999 carrrera with 80000k miles, should i buy the price is decent?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Porsche warranty is only avail through the dealer on cars they sell.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: function12

Porsche warranty is only avail through the dealer on cars they sell.
Correct, but there are aftermarket warranties available.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: speedcars001

doctor it seems that you are very informed on these cars and i have been wanting one forever. the time has come and i have an offer for a 1999 carrrera with 80000k miles, should i buy the price is decent?
Well, without any other information it is hard to say if it is a good buy or not. A 1999 80k mile car should be in the upper teens to be a good deal.