Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Saying hi and got a little question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Default Saying hi and got a little question.

This is my first post here so let me start by saying hi to all.

I took my first test drive in a 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD today and was very happy. In fact to tell the truthI am tingling all over. But seriously beforeI buyI must ask the question. It is my intent to drive this car as a primarryautomobile. So..... How do they hold up? And, are they really as reliable and well built car as the sales staff and others I know say they are? He was talking about 9000 miles between oil changes and I have always heard to change the oil in turbocharged cars more often. Any opinions would be nice. and to hear from some who had acctually bought one would be better. Thank you and have a nice day.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Default RE: Saying hi and got a little question.

Hi, in response to your question...I don't think you can go wrong with a 911 turbo. Don't own a 911 but, I have owned my 88 951 for several years now and love it. As far as an everyday driver, no problem whatsoever. The car was built to be driven and driven often. It is low slung but, unlike aFerrarior other exotic itcan handle most of your common everyday driving bumps without hearing that dreaded scrape. And as far as the 9000 mile oil change...I would not feel comfortable going more than 5000 miles in between changes, regardless of a turbocharged car or not. I change mine about every 3000 and that is running a larger turboand a little more aggressive driving than a standard everyday driver. The fun factor alone offeeling the pull of that turbocharged bliss as you head to work....should help you in your decision. I think this is going to be more of a fellow Porsche owner "peer pressure" than the rock solid facts you may want.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Ditto. I drive a 997S (2005 non-turbo) but it is my experience that the 911 is the only supercar you can drive every day. Bulletproof, reasonable ground clearance, good visibility and driving position for daily/around-town driving. Re the oil changing, there is a lot of debate on the duration. Driving habits, location, stress, etc. all matter. I think that 5K is plenty safe - even with a turbo. Mobil1 is remarkable and durable stuff. I'm sure a turbo is a bit more stressed than an 'S', but Porsche has been debugging this car for more than 40 years and they've got it right. There is no other car on earth that balances a wide range of trade-offs in such a unique, high-performance and durable fashion.
Enjoy it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 PM

The car is a good choice. Before buying any one, I would check it over, of course, but if
it has been maintained well, it will be durable.

Do understand: this is an expensive car that will be relatively expensive to maintain, and will reward neglect or cut corners with really expensive and annoying failures. But take car of it well and it will give good service, and like someone else has pointed out, actually work as a daily driver.

One point: make sure you are buying the car for what it is, not what other people think it is. It's a great car, really something special and a wonderfully well engineering masterpiece of design. But I've known several people who bought one thinking they would have the fastest thing on the street, and then got their *** kicked in street races with ratty, modified American ironne of them was in a rather serious accident and several people were hurt. A turbo cannot really show its stuff well in a street race (usually a straight line contest) against the some of the modifed American iron that is out there, so just don't try: a) you'll kick you *** kicked, and b) someone might get hurt because everyone will have to go very very fast to find out who is faster.