Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

oil consumption - where does it go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Default oil consumption - where does it go?

As I wait for delivery of my 997TT I am trying to learn as much as possible about the technology. I have just learned that I should do an oil and filter change about every 5K miles or so, or once a year which ever comes sooner. This was no suprise. What does it cost, approximately?

What was a bit of a suprise for me was the oil consumption, apparently you need to top the oil up about 1 litre every 1000 miles (or so). Wow. If so, where does that 1 litre of oil go and why? My current car, M3, uses little if any oil so I wanted to find out about the oil consumption. Also, I can see there are different schools of thought for measuring oil levels, so I guess I will have to wait a month or so to experiment.

I have tried to search for oil consumption but with little luck so any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Default RE: oil consumption - where does it go?

My 996 doesn't use that much oil and I pay about $100 for an oil change using Mobile 1

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

A liter per 600 miles seems high. I change my own oil and only pay about $60

Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi
Why do people worry about using "Lubricating Oil". It's in the engine to lubricate. Providing you are not driving around issuing clouds of blue smoke that forces the other traffic to stop, a little oil usage is good.
Remember the most important area of lubrication is in the hottest part of the engine, ie in the combustion chamber by ensuring oil is maintained between the piston rings and the bores, and forthe valves. This ensures that cylinder bore and valve guide wear is minimised. So most of the oil usage (ignoring other leaks from gaskets etc), is up the cylinder bores or from the valve guides, ensuring a lubrication film is being maintained.
Now I had a 1964 Lotus Elan which ran 150-160 bhp for a 1600cc engine (standard was 105 bhp on 1558 cc), which in the 60's was pretty hot. Now that did 200 miles to the pint. Yet the engine was in great condition having been rebuilt by myself with no expense spared.
Now modern technology/design and machining standards have moved on a long way since then, but a bit of oil usage is still needed tokeep the "hot bits" working.
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks Big Bob,

While mine was neither a worry or complaint question, I appreciate the info you posted. I know that heat is one of THE enemies of engines and I'm very impressed with Porsche technology. I'm a newbie to Porsche and would like to learn as much as possible, so again thanks for your info. Any idea where I might get my hands on for more technical issues re the 2007 997TT? So far, I've got my info, and my question about oil, from the PCA Tech Q & A section.

Your comment also gave me some time travel. I can remember driving to high school in the '60s in his small white Lotus - what a rush! That seems a life time ago, I guess it was.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Big Bob, good answer. However, why don't other hot cars use oil like a 911?
You don't see Mercedes SL 500's or ever S 600's using oil like a Porsche...

Old 04-05-2008, 05:17 AM

I would suggest at least regarding Mercedes, that the standard Auto Transmission will take out some of the consumption because you do not get the same rev changes during upshifts and downshifts that you tend to attract with a manual. This is particularly true now with the 7G system on the Merc. Which is not on my SL500 but is on the ML420CDI. I understand though comparing like with like that the SL55 AMGuse more than the SL500 or the SL600.
Best I can do to answer that point. But using oil is not necessarily bad, that is my real point.[:-]
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 AM

I agree BB, my 911 doesn't use much at all, maybe a quart between oil changes and I run her pretty hard.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM

A little usage isn't bad, mine doesn't use much either.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks b.Bob.
Actually, I kind of like putting in oil once in a while as needed. It's kind of a cool thing and reminds one that they're driving a real sports car and it's a guy/sports car/old fashioned/kind of traditional car thing. So wtf...

Quick Reply: oil consumption - where does it go?