Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

oil consumption - where does it go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Default RE: oil consumption - where does it go?

This thread has some good info - from experience not "theory" or manuals. It seems from member's experience that the actual oil consumption is considerably less than what Porsche indicates. I like carsnobs point of view.
Bruce

Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Default RE: oil consumption - where does it go?

Hi folks,

My 996TT consumes oil around the rate specd in the owners manual. Checking the oil level is simple, through the on board computer, engine must be warned up and car on the level, but the comp tells you this.

Oil consumption is also related to how hard you drive the turbo, presumably non-turbos should be much easier on the oil consumption. They are flat motors!!

S.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Default RE: oil consumption - does it smell?

I've put about 2000 Kms on my car now and it has used about 1 litre of oil so far. From what I read the oil consumption will be reduced a bit over time. I find a kind of oil smell in the cab after I start it up first thing in the morning. Is this normal, or should I sell the car right away (Canadian humour, sorry). I have about 800 Kms on my new AWE exhaust system so I think all the oil has been burned off it by now.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: oil consumption - does it smell?

You might still be getting a "smell off" your new exhaust. It can take quite a while for the various engine/transmission coatings etcto stop emitting smells. Wait for 5000k before changing the car
Regards Big Bob

Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: safe oil& H2o temps?

Does anyone know the "safe" range of oil and water temperatures for the 997TT. Mine are fine now but was wondering what to expect on the track and hot summer traffic driving.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 AM

To some extent the key issue is what your summer ambients are? In the UK my temps are between 80-90 Ceg C. If I get held up in traffic on a very hot day (rare inthe UK) it might push close to 100. Mind you the fans are running etc.
What are the summer temperatures you experience in your part of the US especially when held up in traffic on the black top?
Regards Big Bob

Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Big Bob,

I have two scenerios related to my oil and water temperature question.

1. I live in Canada where our summer can reach 30C (86F) where I live. I suspect this will be the ambient temperature when I get my TT on the track later this summer. For daily driving, Calgary has no worries for stop and go in traffic. It's just the track issue here I'm wondering about.

2. Besides tracking my car about 10 times a year, in hopes of improving my driving skills, and using it as my daily driver (even in our Canadian winters - I did this with my just departed M3) my wife and I really enjoy long road trips. I ran into some difficulties with my M3 last summer in Denver (about36C - 42F) and especially in Phoenix (42C - 107F!!!!) which required turning off the A/C and suffering the heat. I didn't even track my car as daily driving seemed to push the oil and water temperature (ok, I had a VFE supercharger in my M3 and probably needed an upgraded radiator to be honest). I know the TT has a superior cooling system so I'm wondering if I need any special preparation for summer driving in the hotter US states. I wasn't able to get any feedback from owners in Arizona, etc. (yet).

I am very interested in learning more about Porsche and my 997TT in particular for practical reasons but also the technology and history I find fascinating.

I hope you are getting some driving time this summer.

Thanks for your input Big Bob.

Cheers!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM

For tracking I would make sure that you have gently pressure washed out the front rads to get rid of flys, bugs,and debris, and ensure that the intercooler matix is reasonably dirt free. You want maximum air flow through both of these systems to maximise cooling (rads) and optimise performance by improving the air mass charge (intercooler). When was the last time your Coolant system was dumped and flushed and refilled? Flushing out the coolant system can work wonders for clearing any deposits in the engine water jacket, rads, intercoolers etc, that impede heat transfer from the engine to the rads etc. Always refill with Antifreeze or Summer Coolant at the right concentation afterwards, as this mix does a better job of cooling than water on its own, because of improved heat transfer properties.
Think about anew airfilters too.
When you are actually on the track you will be getting plenty of airflow through the engine and so while you are actually running there is no real issue. The issue comes especially with Turbos when you stop. Suddenly the heat has nowhere to go, and that can give problems.
After you have done your fast laps, before going back in to pit, do a cooling down lap or two, to enable the oil and coolant to take the engine temperature down before you cut the engine.
I would always change the oil before tracking for the first time + filters. If you are really keen I would change the oil again after tracking especially if you have done say a day of laps.
Check too that your transmission oil is right, as that gets hot too, and your clutch is correctly adjusted.
When was the last time your Brake Fluid was changed? It should be replaced at least every 2 years, and since the winters are cold in Canada and the summers humid, Brake Fluid is hygroscopic, and as water build up in the oil, its effectiveness deteriorates and the boiling point drops, which can start to show when tracking.I recommend ATE Racing Blue DOT 4 Fluidfor tracking and general use - but there are other fluids that would do the job just as well.
Cant think of anything else at present, but Mrs Big Bob wants me to take her to the pub for something to eat and drink. I usually come up with ideas when enjoying a glass of wine or beer, so if I do I'll get back to you.
Regards Big Bob

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Default Air filter check - MICE!

I took Big Bob's advice and had my car checked out. While they (the dealer) were checking the cabin air filter they discovered a mouse nest (about 6 inches + across) and a few dead mice. I was told that this kind of thing sometime happens with cars transported long distances, cars stored, and those parked in the country. I was also told some horror stories of what mice can do if they live in your Porsche for any length of time. Strange but true!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Default RE: Air filter check - MICE!

Clearly Bion, this mouse had taste in more ways than one.
Glad it turned out OK though. Good job it was not the mouse from the "Green Mile" he would have eaten the lot
Regards Big Bob

Quick Reply: oil consumption - where does it go?