Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Which One...911 C4S Coupe vs 911 Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Default Which One...911 C4S Coupe vs 911 Targa 4S

Allow me to begin by introducing myself as both a new member of this board as well as a new Porsche enthusiast who not only looks forward to owning a Porsche but also reading, learning and contributing to this form.

After lusting for a Porsche for a number of yearsI finally decided to take the plunge. At first I was going to get a 2004 C4S cab, then I moved to a 2006 C4S cab (because I wanted a 997 body), then I moved to a 2006 C4S coupe (because I do not like the lines ofthecab with the roof up), then I moved to a 2007 Targa C4S (because I wanted that open road feelong of freedom during the summer)...anyways, to make a long story short yesterday I was about ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 2007 Targa 4S but decided not to because of the facelift and "powerlift" the 2008 models will be getting, after all, for the amount of money involved I can wait the additional 4 to 6 months.

Now to the problem/issue...other than the obvious difference that the coupe has a "small sunroof" and the targa a "retractable roof" what differences, if any, should I consider or be concerned about in deciding between a C4S coupe and a Targa 4S in terms of:

- maintenace
- performance
- resale value
- etc

noting (i) I live in Canada which means 6 months of winter and 6 months of summer (hence the need for AWD) and (ii) the car will be used as a daily driver.

TIA for your advice and feedback.

Joel

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Default RE: Which One...911 C4S Coupe vs 911 Targa 4S

I personally love the Targa. I was just reading an article where the guy was saying how a Targa with Tip would be blasphemy, but I rather like that idea!
I just love the lines of the Targa. Wasn't one available when I bought at a good price, so I went 911 Carrera. I'm happy, but one day I'll be in a Targa.

ORIGINAL: JoelC

Allow me to begin by introducing myself as both a new member of this board as well as a new Porsche enthusiast who not only looks forward to owning a Porsche but also reading, learning and contributing to this form.

After lusting for a Porsche for a number of years I finally decided to take the plunge. At first I was going to get a 2004 C4S cab, then I moved to a 2006 C4S cab (because I wanted a 997 body), then I moved to a 2006 C4S coupe (because I do not like the lines of the cab with the roof up), then I moved to a 2007 Targa C4S (because I wanted that open road feelong of freedom during the summer) ...anyways, to make a long story short yesterday I was about ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 2007 Targa 4S but decided not to because of the facelift and "powerlift" the 2008 models will be getting, after all, for the amount of money involved I can wait the additional 4 to 6 months.

Now to the problem/issue...other than the obvious difference that the coupe has a "small sunroof" and the targa a "retractable roof" what differences, if any, should I consider or be concerned about in deciding between a C4S coupe and a Targa 4S in terms of:

- maintenace
- performance
- resale value
- etc

noting (i) I live in Canada which means 6 months of winter and 6 months of summer (hence the need for AWD) and (ii) the car will be used as a daily driver.

TIA for your advice and feedback.

Joel

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM

My thoughts are that in moving away from the Cab you have probably made the right decision.
The Coupe' versus Targa is more difficult. Targa owners love them especially Golfers, and Coupe' owners swear by them.
I think the only way for you to be sure is to persuade your Dealer to let you have an extended road test in both. In the UK if you cover the insurance they will let you have a car for a day.
In these days of standard A/C I'm less convinced about the value in both cost and utility of the sun roof. But that is my viewpoint, and for many using the "Cockney Rhyming Slang" "a bit of wind in the barnet" is everything. (Translation Barnet Fair = Hair)
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM

Go Targa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM

I'd have to agree. With a Targa, you'll get the open feel of the cab and still maintain the rigid frame of a coupe--best of both worlds.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Hi Joel, As the owner of a new, 2007 Targa 4.. All I can say is The car is just perfect.. It's finally warmed up enough to start driving the car. It spent most of the winter stored in my warm garage. I just took a 300 mile plus trip and had the roof open all the way. It was fantactic.. Much better than any sunroof.. having the rear window open like a hatch back makes storing stuff in the rear very easy.. Only complaint is the lower section of the rear window is blocked by the roof when it's down.. But.. I'm getting used to it..I got a great deal on this 2007 "leftover" with 91 miles on it.. The dealer took 14k off the sticker..After a 10 minute test drive, I was hooked.. I was originally looking for a 2-3 year old Turbo and got this brand new car with full warranty for $2k more than a used turbo.. My Targa is the plain 4 model, not the 4S. I really don't know if I would find much differenc the way I drive.. This car is fast enough and handles great in the rain with AWD. As far as resale walue, I think the Targa will hold it's own as they make so few.. I've had many people come up to me saying this was the first Targa they had seen.. Makes me feel goo all over..

I have a photo posted.. Take a look..

Good Luck..

Steve (k2we) Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM

I went from a '07 Cab to an '08 Targa. Only downside to the Targa is with the top open, the rear view mirror become almost useless. Other than that minor concern - it's perfect.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Yeah--that distortion is a bit annoying