Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Rebuilt Motor with some minor leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Default Rebuilt Motor with some minor leaks

Ok, heres the scoop:
I just bought a car (930 Turbo)with a fantastic motor, with receipts. The car absolutley screams! Now, there are a few minor drops of oil on the ground around the turbo charger oil pump, around the oil cooler on the engine and a small one that I think is from oil blowing back from the oil cooler leak. I have some questions that maybe some of you may be able to help me with.
1. The previous owner states that after the rebuild, he is not aware of any re-tightning of any nuts or bolts to spec. I would think that a leak could be caused by the lack of the this.
2. I have looked at the turbo oil pump while under the car and it does look like the pump may be leaking. The pump semms to be a couple of assmblies bolted to the cam bank. I see 2 different colers of metal, black and then silver, and it appears that there may be a gasket in between them? Anyone got a drawing? Is there a gasket between the pump and the cam bank? Between the 2 different colored sections?
3. Is an engine drop or partial drop a must? If so, what kind of time is resonable in reference to labor? I did this about 10 years ago on my first 930 and I remember it being about 4 hours or so????
If anyone has the breakout drawings of any of this stuff, it would be a huge help. I have the turbo manual on the way now.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Greg

Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rebuilt Motor with some minor leaks

Hmm shouldnt need to retighten the nuts and such to keep it from leaking. Was the car driven much after being rebuilt? Obviously seals will leak if the car is not driven on a regular basis. For the oil cooler leak, i would check the thermostat housing seal on the front of the engine near the firewall, that has a tendancy to leak and drip down by the oil cooler on the passenger side. For the turbo oil pump, you shouldnt have to drop the motor. Motor drop on your garage floor is probably about 3-4 hours, on a lift i have it down to about 45 minutes, but working under jackstands and with jacks is a lot more time consuming.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:08 AM

Very Cool! Thanks for that info. I will look at those items. Not sure what the previous owner did other than spend a lot of money on the car. He says he hardly drove the car, so I figure it may tighten up a little if I keep it on the road every few days....LOL
Thanks again!
Greg

Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 AM

How cool Porsche Doc, my whole family and myself are from Wichita!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool, are you still in the area? If you are ever up in the KC area, stop by the shop and say hi!

Old 11-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Spent about a year there right off Sante Fe when I worked for Sprint in Gardner back in 2001/02! Will do on the drive by!
G