Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Storing 1979 porsche for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Default Storing 1979 porsche for the first time

I just moved with my 911SC from California to Minnesota and it's facing it's first winter. It's barely seen rain, let alone snow, it's very original so I decided to store it. Problem is, I only have a few days to get it into storage. What is the minimum I can do to preserve it over the winter? Do i absoultly need to get an oil and filter change? What do I HAVE to do?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Storing 1979 porsche for the first time

Yes, you need to get the old oil out of the engine due to the acid build up. If it were me, I would put the car on jackstands to keep the tires from flat spotting, but if you can't do that, over inflate them about 10lbs. As it gets below zero in MN, the tire pressures will drop slightly. I would put in a couple of bottles of fuel stabilizer and a bottle of heet, and then fill the tank to full. Pull the battery and store it on a shelf in your garage (do not set it on concrete, it will ruin the battery)

Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Modern automotive batteries do not suffer from being storned on concrete. Many years ago battery cases were made form materials thatwould suffer from such storage. But the myth about not sroring bateries on concrete seems to have survived.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM

Welcome to snow my friend. Could you send me a picture of your machine?

Blizzard as I type this....here's all I did and it's all you really need according to the Porsche dealership guys I know...

I parked the car in the garage and leave it out of gear and with the parking brake off...block the tires.

Fill the gas tank ahead of time and put one small container of Stabil in it...making sure you run the car with that in it for a time to get it into the system.

Over inflate the tires...avoids flat spotting

Just plug in a trickle charger/battery tender and hook it to the battery

That's it....should be fine in a few months.

I am still debating about a car cover if you don't have a good/expensive breathable cover...a basic one like I have sems to be trapping some condensation...don;t like that so I have mine uncovered now.

Oh...don't park it on concrete either....lay something down on the garage floor....heavy plastic or I use some old particle board...blocks moisture from being sucked up into the chassis.

Hope that helps....