Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Suggestions on winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Default Suggestions on winter storage?

I know I'm a little early here, but I'm a planner kind of guy!

Since this will be my first winter with my 911 cabriolet, I wanted to ask a question about storing it for the snow months.

My plan is to keep the top UP, right?
Full tank of gas with some Stabil in it.
Trickle charger on the battery.
Cover it.

My question:
Better to NOT start it up and just leave it alone out there in the garage, OR just go start it up once a week in the cold and let it run for a while...move it forward and backward a bit in the garage then shut her down?

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Suggestions on winter storage?

Yes, top up, full tank of gas, fresh oil change, battery maintainer, and over inflate the tires by about 10psi which should help prevent them from flatspotting (or put the car on jackstands).

There is a big debate on whether to start the car during storage months. If you live in a fairly moderate climate, I would start the car once every 2 weeks and let it idle up to operating temperature. If you live in a climate where it is 30 below out, then I wouldn't bother starting it, and would just let it sit through the winter.

Typically when you let cars sit for extended periods of time, the seals will dry out, and you will eventually develop oil leaks prematurely, hence why you want to get the seals up to temperature and lubed on a regular basis. Weigh that against the wear and tear of starting it in sub freezing temps depending on your location, and I don't know that you can really pick one over the other. If it is sitting in a climate controlled storage, then I would start it every 2 weeks. No need to drive it.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the info!!!!

I am looking at semi-climate controlled (above freezing but you would not want to spend the night)

Regarding jack stands. I am assuming you use the jacking points as specified in the manual.

I was thinking that I would only takethe load off the tiers with stands not completely liftthe car. Is this correct?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM

I was planning on driving the car once or twice a week for short distances, is that a bad approach?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ejaffe

I was planning on driving the car once or twice a week for short distances, is that a bad approach?
That's called normal Porsche ownership isn't it? Drive it once a week or so?

Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't really consider it storage for the winter.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM

funny, I drive it every day...that's normal ownership for me! I appreciate the feedback.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Not sure if this applies, but watch out for rodents or other pests that might want to make your car home while its in storage. Mice begone!