Notices
Porsche 924 The Porsche 924 was produced from 1976 to 1988 was a two-door, 2+2 seat sports car coupe.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM

A loose or bad ground will cause all kinds of havoc. I replaced mine from the battery to the back of the engine when I started having weird electrical problems. Headlights would automatically close, sometimes start, sometimes the display lighting would flicker. The regulator on the alternator can go bad as well, not receiving a good ground, or a short circuit if something is hooked up backwards even if a new stereo is hooked up wrong. The other electrical issue I had besides the bad ground from the battery was the DME. It had a mind of it's own. Car would start right up and after about two minutes it would die. Sometimes it ran fine for days. I had the DME tested and the tech found three bad components and replaced them. DME repair was $100.00 Now it runs great. Prior to that I replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel pump and the reference sensors. Only thing left was the DME. Mine too is an 87 924S.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Default porsche 944

Hello Guys I am new to this forum and happy I found it I bought a 944 that just lives in the shop but when it runs I love driving it My recent problem is I have a red wire that comes off the secondary fuse panel where the fuel pump fuse is my guess it is either 12 or 14 gauge solid red that goes somewhere and i have no idea where this wire attaches? It appears to be the only solid red wire under there and the fuel pump is not working . Any ideas would help and ideas on where to find a goood clear wire diagram would help beacause the front harness needs to be replaced as well Thank you guys greg

Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Default Sounds like the same car

Originally Posted by simxxi
A loose or bad ground will cause all kinds of havoc. I replaced mine from the battery to the back of the engine when I started having weird electrical problems. Headlights would automatically close, sometimes start, sometimes the display lighting would flicker. The regulator on the alternator can go bad as well, not receiving a good ground, or a short circuit if something is hooked up backwards even if a new stereo is hooked up wrong. The other electrical issue I had besides the bad ground from the battery was the DME. It had a mind of it's own. Car would start right up and after about two minutes it would die. Sometimes it ran fine for days. I had the DME tested and the tech found three bad components and replaced them. DME repair was $100.00 Now it runs great. Prior to that I replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel pump and the reference sensors. Only thing left was the DME. Mine too is an 87 924S.
I to replaced all the items you mentioned except for the DME All of my problems started with a loose or faulty wire that caused the headlights to go up and down until they stuck and burned the wires thru the harness its been a nightmare since. Car runs great for a day then shuts down and doesnt start back up a day later runs for 2 minutes and shuts down again I will look into that DME

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Default 1985 porsche 944

I am having a problem finding the location of this wire under the dash it is red and black approx 18inches long with two female ends and is not aftermarket any ideas [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Amy/Desktop/photo_JPG%20-%20Gmail_files/photo.JPG[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Default 944 crank sensor

Still havent found why I am not getting any spark on my 944 can anyone tell me what the crank sensor relays do?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM

You should try searching for a driver's manual. Maybe that can help you in some way. My dad had some issues with his Land Rover. I downloaded a manual and found the exact answer to what was bugging him.