Notices
Porsche 928 The Porsche 928 was made from 1978 to 1995, during which time it was Porsche's most expensive model.

928 Side Mirror Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Default 928 Side Mirror Removal...

Anyone know how to remove the side mirrors on a 79 928? I think the wires might unplug inside of the mirror but not sure. I've already taken out the allen wrench screw and am stuck with the mirror hanging by the wires. I think i might just need to take off the black trim and maybe the wires are accessable through that. Anyone have any clue how to remove them? Need help ASAP. Thanks in advanced.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 928 Side Mirror Removal...

You will have to cut the wires either way to get the mirror off. If you are installing a different housing, then you can just cut them as you see them, though they may make splicing new ends on a bit tricky with that short of wire. If they are the same mirrors as the 944 used, then there is a plastic ring you have to turn behind the mirror glass that holds the mirror to the housing, it turns a 1/4 inch or so one way or the other, then the glass will pop off. Then 3 screws and you should be able to pull off the black trim piece and get to the wires. You will have to cut the wires to get the housing off, even though there is a connector in there, it is too big to pass through the hole.

Not a 928, but a 944/68 mirror swap. There was a better write up out there that shows the removal of the old mirrors better, but i cant seem to locate it. I know i have it on my laptop.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...68_mirrors.htm

Old 07-24-2022, 12:06 PM
Default Do not cut the wires

I know this thread is 17 years old, but posting this correction in case you come across this thread like I did whilst looking for how to disassemble the wing mirror on a Porsche 928.

YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT NEED TO CUT THE WIRES! This is terrible advice. The plastic ring mentioned is on '87 Porsches and later and does not apply to '86 and before.

For '79-'86 928s the glass can be pried loose using a long flat tool, like a wallpaper scraper. It pops off pretty easily so be careful you are positioned to catch the glass. You may or may not have two pop off wires attached to the back, if you have them these are for demisting/heating, tale a note of which wire clips where.

928 glass back

Once the glass is off there are 3 hex bolts that hold the front part of the mirror to the metal back. Use a torch (your phone one will do) and you can see them through the three holes in the metal backing plate the glass was attached to. I can't remember the size, but it is a common one and these are easy to remove with a socker wrench or screwdriver with socket adapter.

Once these bolts are removed the front of the mirror housing comes away and you will see a barrel connector that allows you to easily disconnect the front of the mirror. Once this is placed aside you can see that the side of the barrel connector still attached to the car is too large to fit through the hole you have in the mirror, and all you have to do is poke the wires out of the barrel connector. I used the end of a pair of needle nose pliers to do it, or you can get a cheap set of "keys" off Amazon/eBay if you search using terms like "Auto Terminals Removal Key Tool Car Pin Extractor", as these only cost around £5.

Once loosened with my needle nose pliers I used something thinner to poke these through the rest of the way

As you can see I've not pulled them through the bolt in this pic, the bolt coming loose was the reason for me doing the disassembly and they came through this easily.

To re-assemble just do in reverse.

Keys, or pokey bits. Useful for poking the pins through the barrel, and poking them back in.

The way the mirror assembly is attached appears to be similar/the same across most Porsche models between '79 and '86, and the removal of pins from the barrel connector part should apply to all models i.e. THERE'S NO NEED TO CUT YOUR WIRES. The only reason to even consider cutting these wires is if you were having to replace them anyway.