Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Side mirror glass removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Default Side mirror glass removal

I have a 1988 944 with both side mirrors that don't work in the horizontal direction. The vertical direction works with the motor, but if you touch the mirror it feels as if there's nothing holding it side-to-side. Up and down you can feel the motor holding it.

I've been trying to understand how to take the mirror glass off to get to the motor. I understand that there is a plastic clip that I have to turn to get the mirror part off, but for the life of me I can't seem to find out how to get to that clip. The Haynes 944 book says that there is a hole in the base of the mirror into which you can insert a screwdriver to turn the clip, but AFAICT there's nothing there once I put the screwdriver into the hole. On one of these forums, someone mentions the plastic clip as the way to remove the mirror, but no other information. Can someone give me a hint as to how to get to that clip to get the mirror off?

As far as the issue with the mirror motor - any opinions on whether the motor just has to be replaced in both mirrors (expensive) or maybe there's some simple mechanical thing that can be repaired?

thanks!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Side mirror glass removal

You need to turn the plastic ring about 10 degrees that goes around the outside of the motor itself. You should be able to get it through that small hole, otherwise, push the mirror all the way up and get a flat blad screw driver in at the bottom, engage the slots, and push to one side (it will only go one way). It can take some pressure to get it to move, but it should pop. Then you can pull the mirror.

I am going to guess that your motors have broken tabs for the horizontal position, which is why they seem floppy. It will require new motors.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Default RE: Side mirror glass removal

Thanks for the help. That was indeed the case. The way the Haynes manual was written I was thinking that you put in a screwdriver and turned the blade. Once I saw the teeth at the bottom of the plastic ring I realized what was going on and the mirror popped out.

Interestingly, the problem with both mirrors was the plastic gear rail ball had popped out of the socket. Manipulating the mirror motor and the ring allowed me to pop the rails back into the sockets, and eureka! Everything works and I'm not several hundred dollars poorer.

Thanks for the help. Now I'm on to replacing the passenger side window motor - that motor is definitely shot.