Notices
Porsche 928 The Porsche 928 was made from 1978 to 1995, during which time it was Porsche's most expensive model.

Need Buying Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Default Need Buying Advice!

Well here's the story. I have always been a BMW guy, (not that that's been all that long, I'm 19.) but when my dad decided to get himself a 911 (993 C2), I guess I cought the bug. Now both for practicality and financial reasons, I can't be looking at 911's, so I looked around a bit to see what I could afford, and came across the 928. I honestly never really knew much about them, I'd seen a few and thought they looked kinda cool, but never persued it any further than that. Now I come to you in need of advice. Basically any information relevant to the 928 series would be helpful. I have done a small amount of research and have somewhat decided that I'd like a 928 S4, but I don't know much about them or any of the other 928's. My price range is going to have to be $10-15k, but I should mention that this WILL be my daily driver, so I'd rather spend more towards the 15 mark and get a quality machine.

Any advice you have to offer would be really helpful, whats changed through the evolution of the model, what are common part failures or expensive repairs, anything at all. I wish I had more specific guidelines but I really dont know enough at this point to ask precise questions. Thank you all in advance!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Default RE: Need Buying Advice!

You'll have to spend more... And I was hoping someone would chime in here also.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Default RE: Need Buying Advice!

This a late post, on a presumably dead thread; but as I am new to this forum, perhaps others will be as well, so here's my two bits.
The quality of the used porsche you buy doesn't necessarily reflect the price you will pay. Search online, find as many as you can, and go and look, and test drive as many as you can before buying. A poorly maintained vehicle may very well be a money pit, and with the price of porsche parts, that can mean multiple ten's of thousands of dollars. I had to look at 12 cars before finding a good one. Porsche parts sometimes are priced way out of proportion to what you are buying; an alternator for a chevy may cost $30, but one for certain porsches are >$500. Same with some other parts. Over about 20years, they only made about 60,000 of these cars, so there isn't a great market for the parts, and so they charge whatever they can. There is another forum, rennlist, where you can gather much advice about these fine vehicles, as well as invaluable information about how to repair the things that go wrong in the best, and often least expensive way. I've only owned my car for a few weeks and have already done many DIY repairs for zero cost, where the pro's would have charged me several hundred dollars for parts that I didn't need.
Or you may luck out and find a good one for a couple thousand dollars.
Whichever you choose, a 928 is a wonderful car. It was a 'world class' sportscar while it was built, and few vehicles even today can match it's performance. People WILL notice you, especially the police.
Buy one, give it lots of TLC, and it will give you more smiles per mile than any other vehicle.
Good Luck.