Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

944/944 turbo Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM

The thing to come to grips with owning a Porsche of any kind is that it is designed essentially as a race car. The alloys/parts used in racing engines are never going to be cheap.

Anything that rotates wears with time and will have to be repaired. You can lower mechanic's costs by doing your own work, but you will have to become familiar with Porsche controls which, being a race car, are sometimes very different than general consumer cars.

Keeping up-to-date with routine maintenance (belts, rollers, water pumps and etc) will keep the major repairs down.

A 944T can be tuned to be quite fast and they go around a track like crazy.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Banned
Default 944/944 turbo Daily Driver

i was thinking the same thing, they all kinda look just the other. Nothing much, its like you seen one porsche you've seen them all. I know them drive good still from watching top gear and hear that them have little to no turbo lag so they gotta be fun.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM

]HA! yes, the 944 is a race car! i don't know if any of you have seen it, but there's an ad out there that says the 944 was based off a LeMans racecar. Ah! here it is:
[IMG]http://members.rennlist.org/951_racerx/Ad-944GTP.html[/IMG

so... i guess that supports your claim. +REP

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Default daily driver

Hi, I read your post and hat to throw in my two pennies: Two years ago I bought a 1987 924s with I don't know how many miles (the odometer doesn't work-I'll be fixing that soon I hope). Anyways, I get about 35mpg in her. In those two years of driving, I have not had any major issues. The car stopped running last Novemeber, and it looks like it's the speed and reference sensors. While I was at it I figured a tuneup was in order as well. I looked online, got a tuneup kit for $160 (wires, cap, rotor, bosch plugs-all original equipment replacement parts), the sensors I found online doing a search for BMW sensors (they are exactly the same thing, but cost less than half of "porsche"). those ran me $112 shipped. A coil was 49 bucks. I did all the work myself, and the car should run for another god knows how many miles.

I am happy as punch with my Porsche. I am a hotrod guy, old heavy steel American cars. I wrench on stuff myself as much as I can, but I warn you that whoever designed these cars must have been VERY short and had VERY small hands to get into some of the places you have to get at to fix stuff.

I stand 6'0 tall. Getting in and out are a bit of a hassle, but when I am in, it's like being in the cockpit of a plane. I love how it sits low to the ground. It's by far not the fastest car I have ever driven (compared to V8 engines I have), but it makes up for that in mileage and it handles like it's on rails!

I know that the only fatal item to keep an eye on is the timing belt. If you keep up with the scheduled maintenance you shouldn't have any issues. These motors are bulletproof, the handling is superb, and it doesn't seem to be too much of a spoiled brat in the pocketbook realm (at least that has been my experience). Insurance is really great on it, and you can put collector plates on it! I use this car as my own commuter and long haul car. Except for winter. I live in Wisconsin. If there's ANY snow on the ground, you had better park it, as the car is very light. Use that time to make repais or upgrades for the next driving season, as I am trying to do right now!

I just joined this forum recently, and if you have any questions or issues this seems to be a very good place to come for help. Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted by eppey1
Hi, i'm new and have been considering a 944 as a daily driver. I've heard that the 944 turbo is significantly better, and that those made after 1985 have a roomier cabin/steering wheel. So, that narrows it down to a Post-1985 Porsche 944 Turbo.
First of all, as with any used car, i've become concerned that mileage is an issue. with about 150,000 miles on the average 944, will i become entangled in one repair after another? I've worked as a mechanic on 60's to 70's MGB's and am therefore more mechanically skilled than your average bear. I am willing to do much of the mechanical work myself.
Will anything major break? My father once bought a riceburner out in california, used, only to have the transmission blow out on a steep hill in SanFran. I'd rather not replace a Tranny in my daily driver, because that's expensive.
I've heard people say that the 944 is a good daily driver, and i've heard those who say that it isn't.
my price range is less than 5000, before repair cost.
Should i buy a 944?
~if there's an admin here, if you could please move this post to the "OT or Chat" section, as mentioned in the forum rules, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by koolsville_daddyo; 02-17-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typos