Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

944 HP Questions/Answers

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Default Starting tricks?

My son passed away a while back leaving a nice 1986 944 in his garage. Recently my daughter in law asked me to start it for her but I can't get it to crank over. The battery was dead but has been charging for a few hours. The lights etc work but it still will not crank. I have the clutch depressed. Is there something else I need to do?
Along with the key is a sort of round black plastic fob which she thinks might have been a security device but doesn't know this for sure. All it says on it is ATV. She though he used to wave it near or on the dash somewhere. I have tried this to no avail. I noticed that the ignition key has a button in the black plastic part which I assume if for remote door locks but it seems to do nothing.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
bbc0

Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Is the engine even trying to turn or are you getting no response or just a clicking noise maybe? If it is turning, is it turning very slowly or fast, or maybe slowly at first, then getting faster?

It may have a immobiliser fitted. Do you have a photo of the key fob you could post?

The button on the key is for a small light mounted in the key to stop you scratching your car in the dark.

How long has it been since the car was last started?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 AM

Thanks for your response.
The car hasn't been started for 5 months.
I charged the battery fully but when I try to start it there is no solenoid click or anything although the lights radio etc all work so I do believe that there may be some kind of anti theft device installed. Trouble is I have no idea what it would look like or where it might be installed. I will get a picture of the key fob and upload it in a couple of days. I am away from home right now.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM

I have a small problem with my 1983 944. I tried to jump start a friend of mines car and while they were connected, mine just sputtered and quit. I checked all fuses I could find, checked oil, plugs were ok but dry, and the fuel pump wasn't making a sound or vibration. 2 inputs from other people, one, fuel pump just died, and two, the main ECU fuse blew. I'm still learning about the car, and have no clue where that fuse would be if not on the main panel. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM

I have a question for those experianced Porsche 944 fan's. I have a 1987 944 with about 85K. Just recently, when I get to just shy of 3000 RPM a bad feeling vibration starts up. This occurrs in or out of gear. Since we have limited Porsche mechanics in the area, I would like to have some idea of what I am dealing with before asking for help.
Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Default 84 Porsche 944 na

Found a early.dme chip on powerprom.com. Wondering how hard it is to install. Also was wondering if putting bigger injectors on say 550cc would add any power.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM

My name is Jacob. I have recently bought a 1984 Porsche 944. It is a 5 speed manual with a 4 cylinder engine. it is maroon with some body damage (some parking lot dings and some clear coat damage on the front end). It also has some interior problems such as the seats are split open and the passenger door wont open from the outside. The hatch wont open either. Over all, I believe I got a spectacular deal considering I bought it for $2,500. If you have any suggestions on how to fix some of the problems please let me know.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Arrow

Line is now revealed for extra questions/comments. If you have some details that you think should be included to the information, publish it up, and I will get it in there. I still have details to add, but think there is a very excellent platform going...
I am out; capture me on rennlist or via e-mail. Spammers have taken over the panel, and IB doesn't seem to want to help quit them. Thanks for all the fun fellas!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Cool bigger injectors

Originally Posted by Porscherollin
Found a early.dme chip on powerprom.com. Wondering how hard it is to install. Also was wondering if putting bigger injectors on say 550cc would add any power.
Hi Porscherollin,

Adding bigger injectors to a 944na will do nothing for you except cost you over $500. If you double the injector size, I will then have to cut the pulse width in half. The end results, you are spraying the same amount of fuel. No power difference.....Note: None of this above applies to the 944 turbo, that is a different story.

Hi Doc Wilen

Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 AM

the good car interiors at a good price can be found at happyshoppinglife. if you guys want to install kits in your cars.it will be a good source... As i just installed one last month .the resultis so good .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944 HP Questions/Answers