Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

944 HP Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 PM

anyone know if a turbo system out of a 951 will fit with the engine in the s2? or should I buy a bigger turbo for the bigger engine?

thanks

Chris

Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Default 88 v 84

This may be a stupid question but is the motor the same on an 1988 and 1984?
looking to buy a 1984 to fix my 1988.
Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bluce
This may be a stupid question but is the motor the same on an 1988 and 1984?
looking to buy a 1984 to fix my 1988.
Thanks
The 84 motor is a lower compression motor with less horsepower. Either repair yours or try to find another engine from an 88, or I think you might be a little disappointed. Unfortunately, with the NASA 944 SPEC racing series being very popular, everyone is swiping up the 88 engines for the higher compression pistons. You would also have to swap out of a few of the sensors, use the 88 wiring harness, etc. It would work though.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The 84 motor is a lower compression motor with less horsepower. Either repair yours or try to find another engine from an 88, or I think you might be a little disappointed. Unfortunately, with the NASA 944 SPEC racing series being very popular, everyone is swiping up the 88 engines for the higher compression pistons. You would also have to swap out of a few of the sensors, use the 88 wiring harness, etc. It would work though.
Thank you very much. I'll fix mine.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Default more power out of a 85.5 944 na?

PorscheDoc, thanks for this list I found it very helpfull but still would like to ask, it sounds like the best I can do with a 85.5 944 na is to add a header (no cat) and stock muffler (or flow through but I do not want it to raspy), Max chip, and K&N in the stock air box for maybe a 15hp gain? for under $1000, with out cracking the motor for a cam or other $2k plus add ons and big bucks
did I miss some thing? any other suggestions? I love the 85.5 944 (sorry I do not like the turbo nose or rear valance, of the turbo no offense) so if I do all this and do not feel it is enough I will probably do a 968 motor and slowly change out the drive train/suspension over time.
any help would be greatly appreciated
James

Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JamesChimney
PorscheDoc, thanks for this list I found it very helpfull but still would like to ask, it sounds like the best I can do with a 85.5 944 na is to add a header (no cat) and stock muffler (or flow through but I do not want it to raspy), Max chip, and K&N in the stock air box for maybe a 15hp gain? for under $1000, with out cracking the motor for a cam or other $2k plus add ons and big bucks
did I miss some thing? any other suggestions? I love the 85.5 944 (sorry I do not like the turbo nose or rear valance, of the turbo no offense) so if I do all this and do not feel it is enough I will probably do a 968 motor and slowly change out the drive train/suspension over time.
any help would be greatly appreciated
James
Yup, that's about it in a nut shell. Upgrade the suspension to koni's (you can do paragon products koni conversion very easily and fairly affordable), maybe put on a set of turbo sway bars, and have some fun! If you really want to have some fun with the car, get associated with your local PCA and sign up for a driver's education event at your nearest road course, then you can see what the cars will really do (as well as really improve your own skills in a control environment at speed).

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Default clutch problems

OK I have a 86' 944 turbo with some clutch problems. When the engine is on and running the shifter will not put the car in gear at all. I think that the sync is keeping it from that, but it will let me start to put in reverse (which will start to grind). When I have the engine turned off, I can put it in any gear I want without effort. If I start the car in gear (with the clutch held in) it will jerk in the direction of the gear. I was fine three days ago and now this happened. I have checked the brake/ clutch reservoir to make sure it is full and also drained and changed (which was kind of low and dirty) the transaxel fluid also. The shifter has always been a bit loose and doesn't feel any different, nor does the clutch. Could bleeding the clutch lines help? or does this sound like much bigger issue? I really love this car despite the problems I have had. Any suggestions will be welcome

Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your clutch disc is toast. Could be the throw out bearing or pressure plate, but more than likely it is the disc.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Sounds like your clutch disc is toast. Could be the throw out bearing or pressure plate, but more than likely it is the disc.

Thank you for such a quick response. I will look into changing them out, and hope it's not a bad job to do myself.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Can anyone help me out? I have been searching on google and I cannot seem to find the FRWilk chip anywhere! I have an 84' 944 and i was reading somewhere that people who got theirs chipped helped tremendously with the vibrations that came from having your A/C on while you were stopped. Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: 944 HP Questions/Answers