Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Is a 944 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Default Is a 944 for me?

READ FIRST: I have ready everything in this forum on 944's anda lot on other forumsalready soI have a good idea whatthe major things to look at and fix are first.

Alright I'm looking for a fun project car to drive a lot. I've been thinking about a 944 or older BMW so I'm in the search for a car. I'm looking at spending no more than $7000 so a Turbo is probably out of the question. I've rebuild engines, manual transmissions, modified FWD cars, Aircooled VW's, and a Jeep 4x4 into a trail toy. i'm looking for something to keep stock that's just fun to drive and so after seeing an 87'944S for sale at a German Auto Shop it sparked my curiosity.

If I bought a 944S, changed the timing chain, tensioner pads, water pump and any other maint needed, would a 944S be a good canadate for a daily driver driven 2 miles each way to work? I also have a motorcycle but it isn't very nice to ride in the winter so it's the backup to whatever I end up buying.

Also would a 944S be ok driven long distance like 10 hours across Texas?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Default RE: Is a 944 for me?

if you live 2 miles from work I'd recommend a bicycle. If I recall most cars really don't like short trips like that, or that might just be rotaries. As for going on a long trip. With a spare fuel relay, some spare fluids, and a few basic tools it'd be no problem. They're pretty reliable but I'd hate to be stuck somewhere. I was putting 1000km or so a week on mine commuting for work over the summer.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

If I were to buy a non turbo and was looking to spend 7k ish......I would buy an early 8V (83-85.....83 if at all possible). 5k will buy a very nice 83, and leave you with 2k for repairs, etc. The early cars are much more fun to drive than the S' in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM

So the earlier cars are going to be better than the later ones? Hmmm... i'm going to do some more research and see what i can find in my area. i figured that since the 16V puts out more power that it would be more fun to drive. I guess I just need to find an 8V and test drive it to see which one I like better.

My main question is more about being able to drive long distances if i need to. I'm pretty experienced with emergency fixes... middle of nowhere in Utah with a broken front drive shaft on a jeep... Auto trans puking in the middle of nowhere in texas on a Bronco... um... I've actually had a lot of breaking down experiences but i've always figured out a way to make it work and keep going. If i have to travel somewhere i choose to drive instead of flying because I love the road!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:22 PM

I would reccommend the 87S.. From what I have heard, the naturally aspirated 944s are the way to go over a turbo or N/A.
The turbos have a shorter powerband due to the lower revlimiter, and also have a bit of turbo lag. The regular 944 in my opinion doesnt have enough power to have fun or show off. I actually am selling my 1987 944S. I am asking $3600, post or email back if you want some more info. Adrenalyn93@yahoo.com
-Frank

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

An early 944 NA is significantly lighter than a later S, making it much more nimble. What it lacks in hp, it makes up in weight. With the 83, you have manual steering, which makes driving the car a much more direct feel. With the S, you have a DOHC system to worry about, along with more advanced electronics (which can be fun to diagnose when you have problems). The S also has the sensor on the PS pump, which is known for shorting out, which in turns fries the entire engine wiring harness. I replaced one a few years ago for a customer to the tune of $2k.

In terms of daily driving, the early NA is by far cheaper to keep on the road.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:46 PM

yo,
Im selling my 944 NT 1983, email me for pic's, it perfect condition 126kmi 5sp-asking 5500.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 PM

If you want reliability, there are a few good ones out there. I have an 85.5 NA with over 200k miles on factory build. I get about 30 miles/gallon and drive it daily 40 miles per day. I have driven it multiple times 4 hours one way for a weekend getaway. The problem with a 944 is you probably will want to stop every few hours as they are fun to drive but stiff ride leads to stiff back. I get out and stretch, eat, bathroom and then back on the road. If you want comfort... BMW. If you want a head turner along with an always fun to drive car, Porsche. Another nice thing about being a Porsche owner, most of the time you see another Porsche on the road you will get a wave