Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Just got an 87 944. Need some help with some things

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Default Just got an 87 944. Need some help with some things

I just bought a 1987 944 from a friend, the car seems to be in great conditon, and has lots of maintance records.

But there are a couple of things...

-In idle, the car shakes a little, but that might be normal?

-When slowing down to make a stop, the car jerks, 5-7 times before coming to a stop when slowing down. Kind of like my audi a4 did before the automatic transmisson went... the 944 has manual stick.

-The hatch has started to squeak and make noises when driving, specially when driving normal speed on the streets.

-And how does the sounroof/pop-up roof work?

-The font leather seats are torn up.. thinking of having them replaced, but have limited funds... anyone know of where i can get new seats or good seat covers that fit like a glove and doesnt look cheesy? The color is linen(?) beige.

-And, where can i find a colorchart for the 87 944s? The original color is metal grey, with some yellow and green in it. Need to repaint as its faded and has been repainted here and there.

thanks!

The car has 204 000 miles on it, anything I should start to worry about? These cars, motors and transmissions pretty much run forever, if well taken care of, dont they?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Default RE: Just got an 87 944. Need some help with some things

The idle issue is probably due to worn out motor mounts. Pain to change but they are not that expensive.
The slowing down I would guess possibly warped brake rotor. I had a mustang do that to me. The brakes are a bit underpowered on 944 and I upgraded with drilled rotors and good pads.
The hatch, there should be little rubber "things" in the two corners. If you twist them you will notice them rise and lower. Raise them just a bit.
Sunroof switch should be down on center by shifter closest to driver. With key in on, one direction raises and other lowers. With key in acc it will allow you to unlock the sunroof for removal. The motor is in rear fender well on drivers side. You will want to know this if the motor ever quits and you have to lower it manually.
Seats... cheap is an option but that is just trial and error. Ebay will occasionally have either covers or even an entire seat.
Just google search for 944 color charts. You will find a couple good resources.

Hope this helps and I would recommend ebay and get a manual for your year. That and possibly the service manuals. Lots of great info there and there is Clarks Garage.