Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Which after-market exhaust do you like?

Old 03-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Which after-market exhaust do you like?

And now back to the original question...

I have an SFR Cat Back on my 951. I am unable to detect any "seat of the pants differences" between this setup and stock, however it is louder. The exhaust note goes somewhat silent at certain RPM ranges, but you can always tell the exhaust is not stock. The quality of the construction is first rate and the workmanship is outstanding. BUT, keep in mind that you'll find most everyone who has already bought something will tell you their choice was the right one - otherwised they would feel stupid for spending so much money.

I chose the SFR because it was part of a group buy and looked good in the website photos. On those accounts I am pleased with the purchase. The loudness is slightly more than I originally wanted - but it sounds great. If I had it to do over again I would likely repeat the purchase.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:17 AM

the sfr is a GREAT system. so is the broadfoot racing exhaust. you just have to dish out some serious cash for it. good luck with a decision.

with an n/a though i have yet to finda cat-back system better than stock.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:19 AM

Guys, lets face it. The engineers at Porsche really did their homework before putting these cars together. I'm still not sure how to improve on them. If you like the look of the SFR, which is a work of art, or the louder sound, then go for it. But, as far as trying to improve on the design and function of what Porsche did, good luck.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 AM

yep that is very true for the n/a...

but also guys, regarding the 951 there is much left from the factory to be desired . for example, the headers from SFR not only is a work of art but also improves exhaust a LOT...go to www.speedforceracing.com and check out the article on the stage 2 headers.

however, since we're talking about 944 n/as here that's a different story .

Old 03-17-2005, 01:44 AM
ZOD

Well I've decided to remain stock for now. Polishing that old tip did help... I was actually surprised that no one had a positive experience with an after-market exhaust system on an NA. I didn't expect a huge HP boost but I thought that after 20 years someone somewhere would have produced something just a bit better than OEM. Ah well, I have plenty to keep me busy right now. I have to replace the sunroof gears (opens unevenly) and my rear wiper motor just died. I'm picking up the parts this weekend.