Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Camshaft Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Default Camshaft Assembly

Recently i bought a 1986 944 Turbo. It was leaking oil from all the front seals and several other places, so i decided to reseal the motor. Well i got all that done and just got the motor back in and after turning the car over a few times with the spark plugs out to build up oil pressure, i finished putting everything else together andstarted the car. Now there are a few issues i need help with.Im getting alot of noise from the camshaft assembly and i believe its because the lifters arent pumped up. I know thiscan take some time to do so but i dont want to run it too long and damage something in theassembly. Any ideaswhythe lifters are making so much noise? One other issue im having isthe idle is fine when first started up but after a few seconds, it starts to climb. Im prettycertain that the vacuum lines are correct butim going to double check tomorrow. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Tommy W.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Camshaft Assembly

Idle can either be vacuum related, or due to a bad TPS or Idle Stabilizer valve. Have you had the intake off at all?

When was the last time the car was started? If lifters (cam followers) sit for an extended period of time, they will tick quite loudly for sometimes up to a half hour of mild driving before quieting down. If they do not quite down after an extended driving period, then they need to be replaced.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the help! I solved that problem and the lifters have quieted down, not completely but hopefully they will soon. But now i have more info about the problem with the idle. I took the hose off that goes from the hard pipe to the venturi system and plugged both the hose and where it connects to the hard pipe and the idle got better. My idle stabilizer is getting power and is slightly vibrating when the ignition is turned on. But im still guessing that there is an issue somewhere in the venturi system. Any idea what it could be? I thought about getting the Venturi delete but im not sure exactly what it does and if i would benefit from it.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

The ISV's can leak. They have a crimped fitting that over time will cause an air leak and hence a high idle. The only way to really check it, is the pull the ISV, plug one end and blow into the other. If you can blow into it, there is a leak.