Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

CD Player ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Default CD Player ??

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I was given some audio stuff from a friend of mine, including a cd player, but I am having problems hooking it all up. I have an 84 and there is no radio or anything at all right now. There is the little bundle with the 6 colors going into a white clip, and then another white clip connected to that with all brown with red striped wires. I do not know how to wire my cd player to these. I went to about 5 of the local stores including best buy, and none of them said they had any kind of kits or anything that could help me. They didn't have a clue what to do either. Any help?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Default RE: CD Player ??

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a cheap voltage tester. Take it home, pull all of those wires out and separate them, then turn the car on to "accessary" only. Check the wires for one with 12 volts. Once you find it, keep the tester on it and turn off the car to ensure the power to this wire also turns off. Good? Good. Next, start the car. Check that same wire again. If there is still 12 volts there, hook that wire up to your new stereo (with the car turned off again). There should be some kind of wiring diagram on the stereo itself, but if not, go for the red wire. Next (before trying to start the car again) hook up your ground wire (typically black or brown). Turn the car on and see if your stereo works. If it does, then hook up wire after wire for the speakers until you get them all hooked up in the correct sequence. Don't worry, it won't shock you. If the stereo doesn't turn on, check your wires again and see if there another red or red-striped wire. Try and try until you succeed.

PS - I'm not responsible if anything starts smoking, including yourself. Wiring diagrams and voltage testers are you friend.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM

This may help, but not your year. Color code may be the same.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1568/53CF08BF577641C7B16EA100C316E7FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 PM

Thank you guys soo much, I'll try it first thing tomorrow morning!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Ok, so after a while of touching wires with the cd player to all of the hacked up brown ones jumbled around in there, I got the speakers to work with my cd player. But now with my luck every once in a while (half hour-ish) the speakers just stop emmitting sound. And I noticed that if I disconnect the wires that go from the cd player to the speakers and reconnect them, that they work again. But when I do this I have to disconnect them so that all of them are not connected, and then reconnect them, because if I dont do it that way, then the speakers still dont work. So now im stuck with this stupid little contraption that I rigged up with 2 switches connected to wires that I have laying under my seat, so that whenever it goes out, I turn off all of the switches and then turn em back on. It's a real party-pooper when me n my friends r lovin the song and it just cuts out..Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM

That is very strange. Are you using the stock speakers? The only thing I can think of is if you're using stock speakers (which I think are only 35 watts) and a new CD player (whichcould have up to a 50 watt output), maybe the speakers get too much power than what they're capable of, heat up, and cut out after a period of use. Other than that, I don't know.