Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Putting a CD Player in my 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Default Putting a CD Player in my 944

Hi,
My 944 has got the standard panasonic cassette player and I have a new Sony CD player that I want to put in the car.

Only problem is that the car wires group into a plug and this plug does not fit into my Sony player. I know that on other cars you can get an adapter to convert the standard plug to the players plug. Do you know where I can get one of these from?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Putting a CD Player in my 944

Try Crutchfield.com. Hopefully, you don't have a butchered wiring harness from a previous owners "installation". For what reason I have NO idea, it seems like people just HAVE To "modify" the stereo/alarm wiring on these cars when they put their moster stereos in them by cutting the hell out of them. About 95% of all the 944's I have worked on or owned have been butchered that way.

Regards,

Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: sh944

Hopefully, you don't have a butchered wiring harness from a previous owners "installation".
Indeed, my 944 came sans stereo.... kind of..... It had the original Blaupunkt system, amp and all, but the deck was disconnected and the previous owner had taped (yes taped) the wires to the back of his busted *** Sony deck. Let me tell you that was a hell of a rewire job, the damn thing's every wire from the initial install was brown with some random stripe which by this time is nearly faded. In the end I was to completely rewire the entire stereo system and bypass the blown amp. I just wish I had kept the stock deck for future bragging rights.

Yes crutchfield carries many harnesses, but I found mine at Circuit City. However mine required a crimp job (I decided to solder instead), If you still have the stock harness try to find a unit that has the female equivalent on one end and the brand harness on the other; that it assuming you care about stock restoration.
Also beware some of the aftermarket units are longer than the stock app and can create wiring issues or worse. In my case I had the car in to Circuit City to get the new deck fixed and upon reinstall not only did they rip the center console wires right out of the switches, but some how severed the taught-wires between the heater and vent. O_o That one still confuses me. Lesson learned: Never trust anyone but yourself to do the job right.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:58 AM

I agree you cant trust anybody to do the best job on your car except yourself. I am not an expert on car strereo installation and for that reason I still have my original blaupunkt on my 944. I need to find an installer who will explain to me first the details of installing one and would allow me to be right beside my car when he is doing the job. Its going to be tough to find one but until then I dont mind not having any music in my 944. The sound of the engine anyway is more than a music to my ear.