Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Clutch Replacement Pictures and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Default Clutch Replacement Pictures and Questions

So I decided to change the clutch with my dad since other options were too expensive as we all know. So we got pretty far except that we got stuck where the clutch got stuck too. Since we can't pull teh whole driveshaft out more than what the pictures show (5inches), we decided to try and pull the bell cover of the clutch out and see if we can do anything like that. Althought we unscrewed all the screws (fun), we still can not pull teh cover out sicne it feels as if it is stuck somewhere. My dads idea is that teh little thing the slave cylinder pushes is locked in there somehow and now allowing us to budge it any further than what teh pictures show, or that the little screws you can see in 2st picture (golden color inside the clutch), so should we try those? I was wondering if anyone ahs any opinions or any ideas as how how to proceed form here on. We took off all the big screws and ones visibly holidng vital parts together, so I doubt it is that since the cover does slide off about an inch before jamming. I have posted a video on you tube as well that shows the situation of teh clutch, I hope it helps out a bit, if not I can record a better one is anyone wants to see anything more specific. Thanks for any help guys, here is the link to the you tube video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rk_wdF79qYo

Distance

Screws we are about to try removing

Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clutch Replacement Pictures and Questions

Stop where you are.

You need to remove your shifter off the top of the torque tube from inside. Then you will rotate the torque tube assembly 180 degrees so the dog ears are pointing up. Once the dog ears at the rear of the torque tube are pointing up, then you can slide the torque tube back far enough to properly remove the bellhousing and clutch assembly.

Also, you have not removed your clutch fork pivot pin. It is shown at the bottom center of your first picture. Screw a LONG bolt into that hole, then use a slide hammer, or visegrips and hammer, and pound the pin out towards you. This will release the clutch fork.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Default RE: Clutch Replacement Pictures and Questions

Ok great, we did try rotating it once but it seems to rub off teh metal on the sides, but I will try to do it again since now I know that it might work. I will also remove the clutch fork pivot pin as you said, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.