Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Exhaust Stud Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Exhaust Stud Lineup

[hr]They are called cam followers and not lifters.

Don't want to bore you with machine terminology, but that's what they are, cam followers

Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM

cam followers.... well, i learned something today haha. thanks willard

hey PorscheDoc... I have finally finished. And, I was so excited... until I turned the key. The engine cranks, all the belts seem to rotate fine, and you can hear it roar (so I know I have spark and fuel) and then it simpy cuts out. And it did this all last night, and I finally gave in and went to sleep. So, I am back at it this morning, but if you have any suggestions, I would be much obliged.

For reference the car hasn't been running since... January or February.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM

update: Car turns over and engine runs. It will run as long as I keep the RPMs high. If I let the car idle it stalls everytime almost instantly. I'm told that this is the result of air in the fuel line, and that I should continue running the car and eventually the air will be forced out. Am I right to continue doing this? I'm quite excited about actually getting this far, but, I truly do not wish to do something stupid and screw up everythying I have already done...

for reference, the largest task I had ever done prior to this was changing brakes.....

Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM

another update: Car backfires at low rpm. Also, believe the car may perhaps be running rich.... what the heck is going on!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? ARGH!!! If you can't tell I am quite frustrated currently.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Also, when the car backfires at low rpm it also stalls and dies...

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Lol, it has absoultely nothing to do with air in the fuel lines, lol. Sounds to me like a big intake leak. Did you remember to connect your AFM plug? Is your intake manifold on tight? Did you install the gasket on the #1 header opposite of the other 3 (it actually goes on upside down so it does not block the injector from firing fuel into the cylinder). Are you timing marks lined up perfectly? Ie, OT and the dist. housing mark.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

the intake manifold is on tight... but i will remove it and then reseat it and tighten it. the gasket on the #1 cylinder is right, i made sure that the hole had room for the injector and did not impede the flow of air or fuel (and yes it is upside down...). When I last checked the timing was right, but I shall check again. My vaccuum lines are wrong, I am certain of this but I am re-routing them with the chart from clarks-garage. My friend and his father suggest that my timing is advanced... could this be a possibility? I know he has been wrong before, but he is often right about these things, and his father.. is an engineer... and an absolute genius lol. He suggested that my distributor cap was possibly on wrong, but I don't know how tht could be possible...nor how that would cause the problems I am having...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

The distributor cap can only seat flush in the correct direction, so that should be on properly. The plug wires should be 4 2
3 1 as you look at the cap from the front.

The only way the timing could be advanced or retarded is if the timing belt is say a tooth off, which is always possible, so make sure to check your marks very closely.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

I will certainly do that. Thanks Porschedoc. I am sooooooooooo frustrated haha I need this car done by monday... I have classes on tuesday!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM

I checked my marks, I am slightly off. I can see OT in the housing, but the top of OT is slightly obscured from view by the bar that the mark is supposed to line up with. The cam mark is perfectly lined up. To bring the mark down to the bar, I believe I need to turn i enough for two teeth perhaps. Either way this looks to be much easier than anything else I have yet encountered. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Stud Lineup