Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Exhaust Stud Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Exhaust Stud Lineup

Once you change the position of the belt, just make sure to rotate the crank at least 2x, to make sure everything rotates freely. I like to turn it 2x and check the marks, then another 2x and check the marks just to make sure.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM

I have tried multiple times to do this properly... I am running out of patience, and am contemplating blowing it up.... My marks seem to be aligned perfectly, yet the car just will not cooperate. It does not stay running. It will only roar and die. What else could I be overlooking? My timing seemingly HAS to be perfect.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM

After running another 239382938 trials, it seems that I must not be doing something right. I have the marks lined up properly, and after a full two revolutions, the marks are off by a few teeth.... am I not tensioning the belt enough? The tension reading tool that I am using isnt exactly the most clear.... Occassionally, when the flywheel lock is in place, the camshaft moves when I tension the belt. If the flywheel lock is in place the crank almost always rotates when I tension the belt. So, that in itself has been a struggle.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Check the teeth on the inside of the belt and make sure they are still all there. When the belt is tensioned right it should only twist about 3/4 of a turn with your fingers.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

The flywheel lock should not be on the car at all when tensioning the belt, nor when installing a new belt on!! This is only used for pulling the crank pulley off.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM

okie dokie. How, then, do I keep the crank from rotating when tensioning the belt? Nearly every time I go to tension the belt, the belt pulls the crank, and the marks are off. Do you have a trick for this? Or, am I just... doing it wrong somehow?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Well, line both the marks up (OT and the dist housing). Carefully slide the belt into place. Pretension the belt and lock down the tensioner pulley. The crank and the cam should not move at all when you do this. Once the tensioner is tight, rotate the crank 2x and check your marks. If they are good, rotate another 2x and check your marks. If they are good, then turn the crank counterclockwise 1.5 teeth (you can go off the mark on the cam gear), then tension your belt from there. Once it is tensioned, turned it 2x more, and make sure you marks are still lined up.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

i will continue doing that. thanks Porschedoc!!!
for reference, it seems that when I rotate it 2x, the marks are off... i have yet to do it and see the marks stay. I don't think this is normal.... but, I shall keep at it, and keep posting.

And again, thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it.