Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   Fluids and a fixed problem (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/fluids-fixed-problem-3312/)

Krass 04-28-2007 12:15 PM

Fluids and a fixed problem

First - huge thanks to this forum and especially to "kinderrich" !
A couple of weeks ago my Porsche couldn't start when the enginewas hot or even if the car stays under the sun --- at night, when it was cooler, it had no problem at all. I checked this forum for ideas what could be wrong and found "kinderrich" posts about the DME relay - which I replaced ( $30) and that fixed the problem ! Thanks so much !!!

Now, I would like to replace all of the fluids with the best available, could you please enlighten me what I need and where to get it from ?! Coolant, brake fluid, steering...etc...etc

PorscheDoc 04-28-2007 03:01 PM

RE: Fluids and a fixed problem

Prestone makes a universal, mix with any color, safe for aluminum engines coolant. Mix 50/50.
Brake fluid, I use ATE Dot 4 or Super Blue (track cars), but Motul also makes a great fluid.
Oil: Castrol 20w-50 (non syn), or Mobil 1 15w-50 (synthetic)
Gear Lube: Depends on if you have LSD or not. Non LSD: Redline MT-90, Mobil 1 75w-90, or Swepco. For an LSD, redline you can use their 75w-90 IIRC, the mobil 1, or the swepco. It just needs to have the LSD friction modifier in it.
Power Steering: Any ATF Dexron III transmission fluid (does not use power steering fluid)

jefm 04-28-2007 05:06 PM

That's prime material for a faq.

Krass 04-28-2007 06:29 PM

Thank you Doc !
Next week I'll flush all the fluids.
Anything that I should know about spark plugs, wires, distributor cup and the rotor ?!

PorscheDoc 04-28-2007 06:54 PM

Nothing special. Use all stock parts, IE no need to run any special plug. These cars run best off a stock bosch copper spark plug. No platinum 4's.

Wires I would stick with either stock Beru wires, or get a set of wires from Clewett engineering, which are very nice, and about half the cost.

Krass 04-30-2007 06:11 PM

Hey PorscheDoc,
You can't imagine how helpful you are !!! Thank you soooo much !!!
What plugs would you recommend - I am little bit confused - Bosh WR 8 DS, or 7 ?! The manual says 8, but I have read on the Internet some people recommend 7 ! I would go with whatever you recommend !

PorscheDoc 04-30-2007 06:29 PM

What year? NA, turbo, S, S2, etc?

Krass 04-30-2007 08:20 PM

Sorry !
1985/1

The Porsche just stalled on me at a stop light. Couldn't start it for 10 minutes, but once it did, it runs smooth ! WTF is wrong ?! Could it be a sensor or may be the distributor cup ! It only happens when the weather is hot.

PS: It seems that now the car burns more gas than usual !

PorscheDoc 04-30-2007 11:49 PM

The starting issue is most likely a reference sensor, or the connections to that from the harness. The harness gets brittle over time, and the wires break inside the sheathing.

Use a WR8DS for the early cars.

Krass 05-08-2007 04:11 PM

Hey Doc,
Is it possible the speed sensor to be the problem ?! I gave my car to a garage to check it out and they say that the speed sensor is faulty. It will cost me $300 - to install the sensor, re-tighten the belts and full check up ---is this OK, or too much ?

PorscheDoc 05-08-2007 05:54 PM

There is a speed sensor and a reference sensor that are identical, and can cause the car to not start. Typically when I say reference sensors, I mean the pair. I take it they took an osciliscope to the sensor and checked it and it was probably bad. That should cure your starting issues, unless the issue is in the harness, and their moving wires around may have cured the problem temporarily. Hopefully it is fixed. $300 is a very fair price for diagnosing and fixing the issue. The sensor is well over a hundred bucks, probably around $150 depending on what the shop charged. Book time is an hour to replace them IIRC. I could be a little low on that.

Good luck!

Krass 05-08-2007 09:13 PM

Thank you Doc !!!
I went to pick up the car and it couldn't start again - it was very hot. So, they told me that tomorrow they are going to put the new sensor on the other spot ( for the reference sensor). I hope it works out. If not, probably it will be the harness, as you said. If it's the harness - how much itwill going to cost me ?!

Thanks for all of your advises !!! I am so sorry that you are not closer to NY ---I would love to find someone like you to take care of my car !!!

PorscheDoc 05-08-2007 09:32 PM

Lindsey racing sells a replacement "mini" harness for this issue. This allows you to fix the issue in the main engine harness without having to replace it. IIRC it is around 125 bucks. I got one of the last 944S engine harnesses out of Porsche Germany last year, and it cost around $2k

Krass 05-11-2007 07:26 AM

Hi Porsche Doc,
Just an update about my car: yesterday they told me that they have replaced my ignition switch with one from another Porsche and my car starts right up two days on a row. Today they are going to install a new one in the car and I hope to pick it up from the garage. I will let you know if that fixed the problem.
Next week I'll have more free time, so I am going to make a list of the things you recommend for the Porsches 944/1 and will post it on the forum. That is pure gold !!!

Best Wishes,
Krass

PorscheDoc 05-11-2007 07:58 AM

The early cars do have an ignition switch which cracks over time and will refuse to start like yours is. The later cars have an updated switch, and don't have this problem. Another possibility.

Krass 05-12-2007 08:26 AM

It seems that the new ignition switch fixed the problem. Yesterday the car did start many times without hesitation. I keep my fingers crossed ( even though it is hard to drive that way :) ) that the problem is fixed !

Porsche Doc,
As you recommended, I am going to order from Lindsey Racing their tune up package (Ignition Wires, Bosch Spark Plugs, Distributor Cap, Distributor Rotor ). My question is about the plugs - they sell WR9DC for 944NA - are these the correct plugs for '85 - 944/1 ?!